Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Non-Performance Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/)
-   -   02 WRX Depo Projector HID Headlights??? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/02-wrx-depo-projector-hid-headlights-33586/)

Ellenberger1991 02-12-2013 04:02 PM

02 WRX Depo Projector HID Headlights???

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-Plug-Play-2002-2003-SUBARU-IMPREZA-PROJECTOR-XENON-HEADLIGHTS-STi-WRX-GD-/300852079062?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2002%7CSubmodel%3AWRX&hash=item460c2e69d6&vxp=mtr]Depo Plug Play 2002 2003 Subaru Impreza Projector Xenon Headlights STI WRX GD | eBay[/url]

anyone have these? I think they look pritty good and if it would give me a little more light on the road then it would be great. I use my wrx as my work car and its usually dark so more light would be nice.

Fidrat 02-14-2013 02:17 AM

I wish I'd seen thees sooner. I'm not diggin' my new lights. They look great but the light pattern is HORRIBLE!!! Looks like I'm going shopping again. It would be nice to see those lights in action.

brfatal 02-14-2013 07:37 AM

Those are NOT HID headlights and you cannot use HIDs in them.

But wow, I've never seen JDM replicas before.

Ellenberger1991 02-14-2013 09:38 AM

[quote=brfatal;290747]Those are NOT HID headlights and you cannot use HIDs in them.

But wow, I've never seen JDM replicas before.[/quote]

I just figured they were since they were giving you HIDs for it. I was going to email them and see more about them. I really wish there were more pics of the beam pattern and output of these lights cause I think they are sweet for the price. I don't like the ones with the leds and halos and all that other stuff. I like it simple and clean looking. Plus I really don't wana pay couple grand for jdm ones if I can have these much less if they arnt complete crap. If they are at least equal with stock light output onto the road then I'll buy, if they are more then that's just better

brfatal 02-14-2013 10:27 AM

[quote=Ellenberger1991;290757]I just figured they were since they were giving you HIDs for it. I was going to email them and see more about them. I really wish there were more pics of the beam pattern and output of these lights cause I think they are sweet for the price. I don't like the ones with the leds and halos and all that other stuff. I like it simple and clean looking. Plus I really don't wana pay couple grand for jdm ones if I can have these much less if they arnt complete crap. If they are at least equal with stock light output onto the road then I'll buy, if they are more then that's just better[/quote]

The vendor won't have any idea what they are selling. Lots of vendors have been selling cheap-o headlights with an HID kit as an add on so they can make more money by selling you a package deal. They are drop shippers who don't really know much about the product they are selling and often never even see any of it 1st hand as the item ships from their supplier's warehouse straight to the customer. If you want to ask a qualifier question, ask what size bulb comes in the HID kit.

At this cost though, they are NOT HID projectors, you're going to figure out what needs to be done to run halogens in them. You cannot run HIDs properly in halogen optics.

Ellenberger1991 02-14-2013 06:07 PM

"Hello,Thank you for your inquiry. The headlights have H7 Projector Housing and I am unsure what you meant by whether they are intended for HALOGEN bulbs or XENON HID bulbs as the manufacturer confirmed it works with either one of them. HOWEVER, the wattage of the bulbs used must be 55WATT for HALOGEN and 35WATT for XENON bulbs. We do not have more photos or installed photos available besides what were included in the listing. Our projector will have this Z shape cut off line to NOT blind the opposite side of the traffic, as the following link:[url]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w218/k_dog007/My%2003%20Lancer/DSC01060.jpgThis[/url] is one of our customers that purchased the LANCER with XENON HID installed. Thank you"

This is th response i got from the vendor when i asked about the projector type, beam pattern, and type of bulb used

BLAZE2099 02-14-2013 08:25 PM

Yeah, an HID would have a very straight, very solid cut off line of light.
But I think they are the next best thing to my JDM's appearance IMHO.
I would buy a set if needed for a nice looking quick cheap fix.

brfatal 02-14-2013 10:24 PM

[quote=Ellenberger1991;290782]"Hello,Thank you for your inquiry. The headlights have H7 Projector Housing and I am unsure what you meant by whether they are intended for HALOGEN bulbs or XENON HID bulbs as the manufacturer confirmed it works with either one of them. HOWEVER, the wattage of the bulbs used must be 55WATT for HALOGEN and 35WATT for XENON bulbs. We do not have more photos or installed photos available besides what were included in the listing. Our projector will have this Z shape cut off line to NOT blind the opposite side of the traffic, as the following link:[url]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w218/k_dog007/My%2003%20Lancer/DSC01060.jpgThis[/url] is one of our customers that purchased the LANCER with XENON HID installed. Thank you"

This is th response i got from the vendor when i asked about the projector type, beam pattern, and type of bulb used[/quote]

H7 is a halogen bulb fitment, which is why I told you to ask. It confirms that these are in fact halogen optics and not HID optics. If they were HID they would have most likely been D2S as that by far is the most common HID projector-style bulb size.

I'm not sure why they told you that it won't blind oncoming traffic (it will, since they are halogen optics and don't support HID) when they tried to prove it using a horrendous picture of one of the worst cut offs you can get. That's also not even the same headlights. That's an '03 Mitsubushi Lancer.....

It also shows what I'm talking about about the vendor having no idea of what they are selling. They don't even know what the difference between an HID and a halogen bulb, refered you to fallacious "manufacturer claims", and then tried to show you how well the product worked by sending you a image of a COMPLETELY different product. This is why I hate lazy drop shippers. They sell anything and everything without knowing the item just to make a buck. Personally if I was a vendor, I would educate myself about what I'm selling as to not give bad advice/answers and Iwouldn't sell anything I wouldn't be willing to put on my own car.

You can get these and try them out, but you're going to have to run H7 bulbs in them, not the the HID kit they will provide you with.

Fidrat 02-15-2013 01:41 AM

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-Plug-Play-JDM-LOOK-02-03-SUBARU-IMPREZA-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHT-STi-WRX-GD-GG-/310576885264]Depo Plug Play JDM Look 02 03 Subaru Impreza Projector Headlight STI WRX GD GG | eBay[/url]

How about these? Same company,no claim of HID,no ballasts, cheaper. The bulbs are H1 low-beam and 9005 high-beam.

The ones I just got a few months ago only adjust the low-beams.

Are all JDM 02-03 headlights HID? I'm a big fan of projectors but I don't care for HID's

Will someone who has JDM projectors please take a hard look at thees lights and tell me if they look anything like them? Maybe some close-up pictures?:)

brfatal 02-15-2013 07:00 AM

[quote=Fidrat;290795]
Are all JDM 02-03 headlights HID? I'm a big fan of projectors but I don't care for HID's
[/quote]

Most are not.

I have JDM HID lights, those look exactly like them. Even the flower pattern on the turn signal and the line on the outer plastic cover were copied.

Fidrat 02-18-2013 11:37 AM

Are the low-beams supposed to stay on with the high-beams? Do the REAL JDM's work like that? The Spec-D's don't work like that, should they?

Sorry,It's been a long time sense I've had separate bulbs for high and low-beams.

brfatal 02-18-2013 04:21 PM

On the JDMs both are on.

Fidrat 07-14-2013 02:22 PM

[quote=Ellenberger1991;290782]"Hello,Thank you for your inquiry. The headlights have H7 Projector Housing and I am unsure what you meant by whether they are intended for HALOGEN bulbs or XENON HID bulbs as the manufacturer confirmed it works with either one of them. HOWEVER, the wattage of the bulbs used must be 55WATT for HALOGEN and 35WATT for XENON bulbs. We do not have more photos or installed photos available besides what were included in the listing. Our projector will have this Z shape cut off line to NOT blind the opposite side of the traffic, as the following link:[url]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w218/k_dog007/My%2003%20Lancer/DSC01060.jpgThis[/url] is one of our customers that purchased the LANCER with XENON HID installed. Thank you"

This is the response i got from the vendor when i asked about the projector type, beam pattern, and type of bulb used[/quote]

There is no such thing as a 55WATT halogen 9005 bulb.

brfatal,NASIOC needs you to join this thread to set them straight on the H7 projector housing.[url=http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2462696]Depo bugeye jdm replicas - NASIOC[/url]

It seems they are cramming HID bulbs into anything they can get there hands on! Also,they are attacking the seller/drop shipper when it won't work. He is the seller,and doesn't know the first thing about halogen VS HID optics.They should be attacking the manufacture (DEPO),for making false claims.

They are also having cracking problems in the clear part of the housing and the seller is saying it is due to having too high of a wattage bulb. The halogen version calls for a 9005 high beam and an H-1 bulb for the low.

I think you would be a big help over there. Stop the madness!

brfatal 07-14-2013 11:43 PM

[quote=Fidrat;323042]There is no such thing as a 55WATT halogen 9005 bulb.

brfatal,NASIOC needs you to join this thread to set them straight on the H7 projector housing.[url=http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2462696]Depo bugeye jdm replicas - NASIOC[/url]

It seems they are cramming HID bulbs into anything they can get there hands on! Also,they are attacking the seller/drop shipper when it won't work. He is the seller,and doesn't know the first thing about halogen VS HID optics.They should be attacking the manufacture (DEPO),for making false claims.

They are also having cracking problems in the clear part of the housing and the seller is saying it is due to having too high of a wattage bulb. The halogen version calls for a 9005 high beam and an H-1 bulb for the low.

I think you would be a big help over there. Stop the madness![/quote]

I'm not allowed on NASIOC anymore. !Laugh!

Drop shippers almost never know anything about the products they sell and they tend to defend them to death in the process. This is why I hate a lot of them, such as Import Image.

biker921 06-26-2014 12:49 PM

Other options

You could buy these and use a retro kit from Lightwerkz or BlackFlameCustoms to get the right lenses and such right? I just like the JDM bulb locations and setup. Especially since Morrette's are long gone.

I ask, because that's what I'm thinking of doing...