02 dashkit - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

slo2sixty is an unknown
02 dashkit

i went to the local stores (bestbuy, installations unlimited) and i had to order it from both. Not one in stock anywhere. So i went to bestbuy and ordered it because i had a gift card. And they said it would be in on the first of april and this happend the begining of march. Well its been a month now and im still waiting and i want my deck in now, im kinda getting mad that its not in. You would think that after a month they could have a lousy dash kit for me. Now what would you do???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 08:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
cancel the order and buy a double din deck...because then it will fit in the stock hole w/o a dash kit

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #3 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 10:51 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
i didnt need a dash kit for my single din. i just srewed the brackets the hold the stock cd player to the side of the single din stereo. then i bought a dash pocket out of and 03 forrester with a door from the dealer for 35.00. it matches perfectly and dosent give you that ghetto open pocket that looks half assed.
Attached Images

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #4 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

slo2sixty is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyhead View Post
i didnt need a dash kit for my single din. i just srewed the brackets the hold the stock cd player to the side of the single din stereo. then i bought a dash pocket out of and 03 forrester with a door from the dealer for 35.00. it matches perfectly and dosent give you that ghetto open pocket that looks half assed.
looks good. Do you have more pics/ some directions?

And a double din deck is WAY to expensive.
post #5 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 03:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
that does look really good, maybe someone will take some time and make a CF kit and a door that would look really nice in there as well.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 04:01 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
i just snapped those photos before work today, i will take more and take it all apart and show you what i did to make it fit. It will be later today though,. as i am at work until 6. they will be a shitty camera phone pictures because i sent my Pentax back to the factory to be cleaned and calibrated.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

post #7 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

slo2sixty is an unknown
Quote:
i just snapped those photos before work today, i will take more and take it all apart and show you what i did to make it fit. It will be later today though,. as i am at work until 6. they will be a shitty camera phone pictures because i sent my Pentax back to the factory to be cleaned and calibrated.
Wow thanks man im deff gonna do that instead. Damn best buy . Thanks again cant wait to get it in. I will probably head to the dealer tomorow to check it out.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 PM
WRXpert

the wife is using the car for a while so i'll get the pics up in hour or so. i'll try to find the part number for the pocket as well.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

post #9 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 10:50 PM
WRXpert

looks like it will be tomorrow. sorry

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

post #10 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

slo2sixty is an unknown
Quote:
looks like it will be tomorrow. sorry
its all good man. Ive waited a month whats a few more days
post #11 of 23 Old 04-05-2009, 11:43 AM
WRXpert

When you get the stock deck out you will see that the brackets on the side can be removed with some philips screws. Your new deck should have a lot of pre drilled holes on the side of it, oh and remove the mounting "cage " that comes with you new deck, you wont need to use it. line up 2 of the holes in the radio with the 2 holes in the the bracket, make sure to shorten the screws so you don't pierce anything inside the radio. It is a little tricky to get the right depth, it took me a few times of screwing the bracket to the new radio, then screwing it back in the dash, putting the trim back on and so on.
Once the depth of the radio is figured out, you can mount the pocket. I had the radio out of the car with the stock brackets screwed in place on the side. then I just set the dash trim piece around the radio to figure out the depth of the pocket, then I marked and drilled over-sized holes in the bracket for the screws that hold the pocket to the bracket. I made them oversize so that I could move the pocket in and out to get it to line up perfectly around the dash trim piece.
Attached Images

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

post #12 of 23 Old 04-05-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

slo2sixty is an unknown
sweet deal thanks alot. Im gonna run to the dealer on mon to see if i can get one of those pockets. Once i got it ill let you know if i run into any problems. Thanks for the directions
post #13 of 23 Old 04-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Weird, I didn't have to cut my bracket to fit that pocket in.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #14 of 23 Old 04-05-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

slo2sixty is an unknown
Anyone have that part num? Im heading to the dealer tomorow.
post #15 of 23 Old 04-06-2009, 10:26 AM
WRXpert

i couldnt find the part number.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ