Yankie Help required for Down Under Bloke - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-18-2008, 04:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

STi 22B is an unknown
Send a message via Skype™ to STi 22B
Yankie Help required for Down Under Bloke

G'Day all,

I need some help and I have just about tried everything I have a 2001 WRX with a standard EJ20 Turbo engine but just recently the car as developed a missing problem !Cry! The car is firing on #3 and #4 cylinders only. I found the #1 and #2 just have decided to go on a walk-about (must be lost out bush somewhere? LoL) I have 12v power to the coils and I have tried fitting 2 new coils to no avail. I have also tried fitting another ECU and this has done nothing to change the situation

Please can anyone help with a wiring diagram or any ideas?

Cheers,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-18-2008, 11:35 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Try doing a compression test.Also try swaping the injectors on those cylinders with the injectors on the cylinders not missfiring.If the missfires change from the #1 & #2 to the #3 & #4 then you know it was the injectors.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#3 Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

bocaks is an unknown
you never stated if you had spark after trying new coils. do the poor man test, pull the plug and hold it to the block and crank the motor over. no spark. probably wiring. if their is spark then check fuel and air like injectors or maybe the tgv butterflys are malfunctioning. but if you got spark it has to be one of the other needs of combustion. mine sounded like it had the worst cam job ever when i had some bent valves. it sounded like it was missing on the one side. but i knew what had happened.

needs of combustion are air, fuel, comprestion and spark. its a pump make sure it can breathe.

its all coming together, after a year.
02 WRX
#4 Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

bocaks is an unknown
I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post!

its all coming together, after a year.
02 WRX
#5 Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Squamr is an unknown
Do you have any mods? If so, please post them ALL, as well as what CEL codes you are showing if any. Our high performance engines are a royal b#tch sometimes, but if we put our heads together we should be able to help each other diagnose the prob.
#6 Old 09-19-2008, 08:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

STi 22B is an unknown
Cheers Guys... to answer a few questions,

1. I tried 2 new coils to no avail (I'm sure I mentioned this before, sorry)
2. I have Injector pulse and fuel into the cylinders (1 & 2)
3. The engine is fully rebuilt and this is the first time it has been run (compression is even over all 4)
4. No Check Engine Codes but light is on when engine is running?? (used a Snap-On Scanner to search for codes)
5. Only Mods are a VF22, FMIC, UniChip and equal length exhaust headers.

I have spent the last 2 days trying to fix this Bucket of S..t. Sorry it's just starting to piss me off, I do really love the car.

Please help and thanks to those who are trying to help, please keep the ideas coming
#7 Old 09-20-2008, 08:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

STi 22B is an unknown
Real big THANKS to you guys

I feel like a bit of dickhead for not checking the basics (fuel, spark, compression)

I have spent almost 2 days trying to find out why I had no spark in 1 & 2 after pulling off the power leads to the coils??? After about 6 Jim Beams, I thought about the things you guys had mentioned... This is where I try and hide my face in my shirt... I put my noid light in # 1 injector to find I had no pulse!! But I do if I put the engine under load??? bit more investigating, lead me to find the the IACV and crapped itself (thank god I had a B4 Legacy on hand to try a spare one) now I just have to go out Monday and buy myself another one.

Once again, thanks all for your help
#8 Old 09-21-2008, 03:06 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
So you got it figured out? Thats great to hear man.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 09-22-2008, 12:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Awesome...glad to hear the 22B will be back up and running. Wish those cars made it to our shores. Btw, what is a IACV?
#10 Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
If he's got an EJ20, it ain't a 22B...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD