Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX gears are very rough/grinding like when changing into 2nd gear

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  GSMNZ 
#1 ·
I just put 1,000 miles into my new 2015 Subaru WRX base, with a STI short throw shifter. I recently noticed that when I change into 2nd gear from 1st gear, the gearbox sometimes makes a grinding noise. It is also a bit harder to change into 2nd from the 1st compared to other gear changes.

It's especially the case when the rev is high during gear changes. I sometimes have to put it into neutral first and then 2nd (but don't release the clutch at neutral), which seems to alleviate the issue. I wonder what the problem might be? Thanks.

#3 ·
2015 WRX have notoriously broken gearboxes. subaru have admitted there was a fault and it was fixed for the MY2017.

there is too much slop in the shifter and allows for too much movement. i forget exactly what you need, but its like a bushing kit of some short to take out the slop. Kartboy makes a good kit.

#4 ·
Granny shifting not double clutching like you should.

Ok now that quote is out I have a question. At what speed are you trying to go into 1st? From driving a few different year models and owning my 05. I have noticed also that going into 1st is harder but gets easier the slower you are going. I don't go into 1st until about 9mph or lower. Now mine doesn't grind so maybe its the gear box or not engaging the clutch properly, I don't know. I am not trying to say you don't know how to drive. I am just showing another perspective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.