WRX 2002 transmission doesnt take 1st - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 Old 07-23-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

theorb13 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 CrazyTaxi View Post
$3200 was the installed price. That included 8 hours of labor (way over charged there since I can do the swap in about 3-4 on jackstands) and new fluids. Not to mention the shop really didn't want to work on an import so they may have inflated the price.

If you have access to a hydraulic press, yes you can rebuild it yourself IF you know what you're doing. I've been tweaking on these cars for about 4 years now and I'm still not comfortable diving into the transmission but I know others who have with quite a bit of success.
i was worried there for a second..i just want to fix mined..and i think is only 1st gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 07-24-2009, 11:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
i had 2nd gear go out in my 02. it ended up being a shim for the differential that had came apart and jammed the gear. you may get lucky if you shell out $300-$500 tear-down labor and have it only need a diff like my situation. total cost for rebuild with new diff-$1900, but i pulled the tranny, then installed it and bought my own fluid.
post #18 of 20 Old 07-24-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

theorb13 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyole View Post
i had 2nd gear go out in my 02. it ended up being a shim for the differential that had came apart and jammed the gear. you may get lucky if you shell out $300-$500 tear-down labor and have it only need a diff like my situation. total cost for rebuild with new diff-$1900, but i pulled the tranny, then installed it and bought my own fluid.
wow...this car is extremely expensive to fix.. !Cry!...thanks for all of your help guys..i am gonna find out over the weekend and update here..
post #19 of 20 Old 07-24-2009, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by theorb13 View Post
$3200 OMG !!! guys dont scare me please !!! lol i just want to drive my car everyday...but $3200 is crazy for me...i paid $3900 for the car (wholesale price)..i really like this car and im starting to get freaked out...i mean can i rebuilt my own tranny ? i mean it runs just fine..heck i drove yesterday..but i just couldnt use first gear...
I mean, you spent 3900 for the car, not to sound like a douche but theres gonna be some problems. hell i spent 8k for mine and two months later had to drop 2k for the tranny. you can spend alot of money on this car and still have less in it than the book value for a stock one.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-24-2009, 06:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Kyole makes a good point. I've spent about 3k on my car to get it where it is and bought the car for 17k. Now that 3k isn't really including the maintainance that I've done, that's more like another 2k. In total, I've got 22k in my car and 137k miles and I still have a few plans which will add another 20k to the car... It's all about the love of these cars and what they are capable of.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug