Wrecked WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-03-2010, 06:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Lindemann_WRX is an unknown
Wrecked WRX

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and was looking for some help regarding my WRX which was recently involved in an accident. At this point it looks like the car will be totaled, but i've heard that I may be able to buy back the car from the insurance company. Does anyone have any experience with this or know of any junk yards or body shops in the Pittsburgh area that would want to purchase a wrecked WRX off of me? The damage can be seen in the attached pictures. Basically, everything but the front end is salvageable and in good condition as the car was only 5 years old with 57,000 miles on it. I could potentially sell the Boxer engine, rims, trunk, seats, exhaust and more. I don't know how much the insurance company would charge but would this be worthwhile?

Thanks for any assitance you can provide.

Chris
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2010, 11:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
More often than not, buying a mostly stock to slightly modded wrecked WRX isn't worth the hassle. You're better off cutting your losses and finding another one.

If the car was extremely rare and valuable to collectors or it had all kinds of goodies on it that were worth more than the entire car was worth, then yeah, I'd say it would be worth buying it back. Also keep in mind that used WRX parts aren't as popular as used STi parts so you would probably have to sell the majority of the salvageable parts on the car just to make it worth the buy-back price. Think about the time you would have to spend disassembling/packing everything, finding buyers, negotiating deals, and just storing the car on your property until it's gone. Then you would have to find a way to get rid of the frame and/or whatever remains once you're satisfied that everything worth something is removed.

If, on the other hand, you intend to buy the car back to fix it and continue driving it yourself and there was little to no frame damage and you had the ability to inexpensively repair the damage, then yeah, that might be worth doing. If you go this route, though, you would be driving a car with a salvage title and the only real way to get your money's worth out of that is if you keep it until it completely falls apart because you usually don't get much money from selling a car with a salvage title.

It sounds like you might have some kind of attachment to this car, but let it go Chris... just let it go !Cry!

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 12-06-2010, 06:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'd ask for the buy back price.... I wouldn't go above +/- 2K

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3