Wont start - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-17-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wutangjn12 is an unknown
Wont start

i recently got my car back after transmission repairs and a new clutch, and now it wont start. i had this problem before when i had repairs done. its not the battery. i go to turn it on and i dont even hear the starter. Im hoping its a loose connection. it did it last night, but after a few tries it started up. i believe the starter is to the right of my intercooler underneath. 08 wrx. can anyone verify this? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sounds about right for the starter. It's either on the left or right but yeah, under the intercooler. I'm drawing a blank.

If they had to work on the clutch they could have left something loose under there. It's not a fuse, or it wouldn't work at all, so I'd check for a bad connection first and if that doesn't turn up with anything maybe get the starter tested to see if it's fried.

-Chris
post #3 of 9 Old 01-18-2011, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I would also check the switch that doesn't let the car start when the clutch isn't engaged. They wouldn't have caused that replacing stuff under the car, but it could be coincidental. Other than that it would be the starter.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-18-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wutangjn12 is an unknown
i can hear the fuel pump when the clutch is press down all the way. and dont hear it when its half way. so i think the safety switch is properly conneccted
post #5 of 9 Old 01-18-2011, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutangjn12 View Post
i can hear the fuel pump when the clutch is press down all the way. and dont hear it when its half way. so i think the safety switch is properly conneccted
The safety switch doesn't have anything to do with the fuel pump. The fuel pump engages when the car is turned to the "ON" position. It doesn't hurt to try.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-18-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wutangjn12 is an unknown
after taping the starter a few times, i heard it click once. can the starter be totally removed from the top? or do i have to go under the car. I believe there are two bolt to remove to remove the starter. Can anyone confirm? also, if there are any tutorials written on starter replacement, id love some links. Thanks
post #7 of 9 Old 01-18-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wutangjn12 is an unknown
BTW i had this same problem about a year ago when Subaru replaced my clutch and worked on my transmission. They had said it was a bad connection on the starter. Before i bought my car to get repaired at a garage about a month ago(transmission and clutch work), i never had any starter issues. im hoping it can be fixed by myself without the need of a new starter, maybe im being optimistic. its frustrating when u pay for repairs and they never seem to be done right
post #8 of 9 Old 01-18-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wutangjn12 is an unknown
FIXED IT the starter was missing a nut on the negative side. thanks guys!!!!
post #9 of 9 Old 01-18-2011, 04:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sweet

-Chris