wierd stalling issue - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

scoobyrooftw is an unknown
wierd stalling issue

today on my way to work when i stopped at the first stop sign of the trip my car stalled. i had the clutch pushed in plenty early. the engine just cut out. it started right back up and drove normal the rest of the way. this is the second time its done it at the same stop sign. the engine wasnt quite warmed up yet. any ideas what it could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

JimmyJ is an unknown
Aftermarket bov maybe, always let you're car warm up before driving, especially a turbo car.....
#3 Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

i have an aftermarket bov on it. how much should i let it warm up? the whole way?
#4 Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyrooftw View Post
how much should i let it warm up? the whole way?
Unfortunately, that's your best bet.

John
07 WRX
#5 Old 06-09-2009, 10:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
your mod list doesn't include a type of em. having an em could smooth out your car and help you with this isssue
#6 Old 06-09-2009, 01:59 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
But it wont solve the BOV issue at all. Both you and your car will like it alot more if you let it warm up also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 06-09-2009, 08:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
It almost sounds like you have a lightweight flywheel... I'm not familiar with the BOV in your mods list. Is it a 50/50 or full atmospheric? If it's an atmospheric, I would highly recommend going back to the stock one.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#8 Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I bet your BOV needs to be adjusted. It doesn't have enough tension on the spring to hold it closed at idle. Put the stocker back on.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#9 Old 06-10-2009, 06:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
The Perrin VTA is a full atmospheric BOV

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#10 Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

i dont have the stock bpv because there was already a bov on the car when i got it. idk aobut the lightweight flywheel. the dealer i got it from said the guy who traded it in had just replaced the clutch with a stage 2 clutch. dunno who makes it or if he did the flywheel too. why would a lightweight flywheel make it stall like that?

oh and as soon as i save up enough money im getting a protune. ###### another month or so
#11 Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Oh man... that stage 2 clutch might be too much if your transmission is still stock. Be careful if that's the case. Two main rules of thumb for these cars are: (1) stock transmission + stock clutch, and (2) no aftermarket bov until you NEED one - a.k.a. highly modded to the point where you need something to handle more pressure. Otherwise, you risk running into some very expensive problems.

John
07 WRX
#12 Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Flywheel has nothing to do with his issue.Reread his first post.Flywheel would be when trying to actually move the car not when you pushing the clutch in on deceleration.Warming up the car won't help either.It probably has to do with the BOV not set right or his IAC valve needs cleaning.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#13 Old 06-10-2009, 05:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

what would the bov being set wrong do?
#14 Old 06-10-2009, 05:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Flywheel has nothing to do with his issue.Reread his first post.Flywheel would be when trying to actually move the car not when you pushing the clutch in on deceleration.Warming up the car won't help either.It probably has to do with the BOV not set right or his IAC valve needs cleaning.
I agree with the BOV and the IAC but have to disagree with the flywheel not being a possible cause. When there is an ultralight flywheel on the car and you press the clutch in, there isn't enough rotating mass to gradually slow the engine down to idle. Instead it plummets quicker than the engine expects and can stall. I had it happen with my old 12lb flywheel and replaced it on the advice from 2 Subaru tuners.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#15 Old 06-10-2009, 05:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

where exactly is the IAC valve located? a picture would be very helpful