Subaru WRX Forum banner

wierd stalling issue

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  busadave 
#1 ·
today on my way to work when i stopped at the first stop sign of the trip my car stalled. i had the clutch pushed in plenty early. the engine just cut out. it started right back up and drove normal the rest of the way. this is the second time its done it at the same stop sign. the engine wasnt quite warmed up yet. any ideas what it could be?

#10 ·
i dont have the stock bpv because there was already a bov on the car when i got it. idk aobut the lightweight flywheel. the dealer i got it from said the guy who traded it in had just replaced the clutch with a stage 2 clutch. dunno who makes it or if he did the flywheel too. why would a lightweight flywheel make it stall like that?

oh and as soon as i save up enough money im getting a protune. ###### another month or so

#11 ·
Oh man... that stage 2 clutch might be too much if your transmission is still stock. Be careful if that's the case. Two main rules of thumb for these cars are: (1) stock transmission + stock clutch, and (2) no aftermarket bov until you NEED one - a.k.a. highly modded to the point where you need something to handle more pressure. Otherwise, you risk running into some very expensive problems.

#12 ·
Flywheel has nothing to do with his issue.Reread his first post.Flywheel would be when trying to actually move the car not when you pushing the clutch in on deceleration.Warming up the car won't help either.It probably has to do with the BOV not set right or his IAC valve needs cleaning.

#14 ·
I agree with the BOV and the IAC but have to disagree with the flywheel not being a possible cause. When there is an ultralight flywheel on the car and you press the clutch in, there isn't enough rotating mass to gradually slow the engine down to idle. Instead it plummets quicker than the engine expects and can stall. I had it happen with my old 12lb flywheel and replaced it on the advice from 2 Subaru tuners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.