Why would these lights come on? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-11-2011, 08:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

jmanches is an unknown
Why would these lights come on?

This has happened three times( refer to picture), two of the times I was on a hill, so I thought it might have to do with the hill assist, but this last time I was just driving on level ground. When I turn the car off, and start it back up everything is back to normal. When the lights come on, everything appears to be running normal. Other than a new Pioneer head unit, the car is completely stock. I've babied the car, so all the maintenance is up to date. I am pretty close to needing new tires, but I doubt that would be the cause. Any ideas/advice would be appreciated.

If the picture fails to work, the lights mentioned are the hill assist, ABS, and traction control.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Needing new tires could definitely be the cause if a couple tires are WAY off in diameter as the others. The lights (Traction Control, and ABS), are driven by sensors monitoring wheel slip, if it thinks one is slipping, constantly and goes into error mode, it could disable it(which is why they come on and stay on). That is my only thought, unless whoever installed the stereo did something silly like spliced into the traction control button.
#3 Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

jmanches is an unknown
I'm 99% sure the tires aren't to that point. There's still tread on all of them, the people are good year said it's time to start looking into buying new tires not to change them immediately. The stereo has been in for almost a year, and the 1st time the light came on was probably 2 months ago. Who knows though, thanks for the reply.
#4 Old 08-12-2011, 10:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Well, if that tires aren't "that" bad, I would start looking into electrical failures, (sensors). Is the car still under warranty? Do you have access to a tuner or DTC tool? Maybe drive it to an auto zone or something and ask them if you can plug in the DTC tool, it will probably be a "memorized code". Not sure if I have ever seen a memorized code with no check engine light, but it's worth a shot to save you headache and time.
#5 Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

jmanches is an unknown
Yeah I'm still under warranty, but its a 3hr trip to the dealer. I'll get it hooked up to a DTC and see if I can get a code before I make the drive. Will the dealer be able to diagnose something if I can give them the code over the phone?
#6 Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Yes, most codes for the WRX can be found online as well. For some reason it feels like I have troubleshot this exact issue before....perhaps it will come to me. It's weird it's not throwing a check engine light as well.
#7 Old 08-12-2011, 11:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

jmanches is an unknown
It's amazing what a Google search can come up with. The IWSTI has a 16 page thread about the issue. The common consensus is the brake light switch is faulty or the wheel speed sensor. Here is the link if you are curious 3 lights popped up on my 2011 sedan - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

Thanks for the input though!