Whiteline Frontsway clicking - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-21-2011, 10:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

sccaia is an unknown
Whiteline Frontsway clicking

So I installed a new 24" whiteline FSB yesterday. Everything went in smooth. Now I notice clicking at low speeds mainly when going over bumps. Highspeeds it does not click when going over bumbs and almost does not click at all.
Endlinks are not being stretched at all and are not catching.
So this has me a little confused only thing I can think of is something bouncing on sub-frame, but the noise is only coming on the right hand side of the car.
Any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Recheck everything you did. Also, did you leave the stock endlinks in or did you replace them ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

sccaia is an unknown
They are the stock endlinks, but It shouldn't make it click when they were not doing it before. I bolted it all back up backed out of my garage and the first drop right there made it click and endlinks couldn't have gone bad just like that.
#4 Old 02-21-2011, 12:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Stock links do suck.

The bar is shifting more than likely. did you grease the bushings when you added the new bar ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 02-21-2011, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

sccaia is an unknown
Your talking the inside where the bar runs through? yes i greased the crap out of them. Going to go try putting a piece of card board where subframe might hit it and see if it does anything.
#6 Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

^^ Might work.

Also, did you install it under load or just up in the air ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Chances are you just have a loose connection. I had the same clunk over speed bumps so I took the bars off and tightened the link-bar connection to 40 lb-ft and added some loctite. No more clunks.

To what Paul said, make sure your links are perpendicular to the ground when the car is sitting on the ground, that could also be an issue if there's a big angle on them.

-Chris
#8 Old 02-21-2011, 05:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

sccaia is an unknown
Yeah I installed it on jack stands so you guys think its just loose? Is there and easy way to get in there and tighten it up with wheel on.
#9 Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I think I might have a similar problem. I have a feeling the diameter of the hardware on the stock front endlinks was slightly smaller than the diameter of the holes in the Whiteline front sway bar and due to vibrations from driving, the threads have been pressed flat and the holes might have been slightly enlarged from the bolt bouncing around in the hole. I think a solution might be to get some type of top hat washer and wedge it in there to make everything tight or possibly start from scratch with a new bar and aftermarket endlinks... I have yet to investigate my issue since it's been so cold and I haven't had time. I definitely greased the crap out of my bushings too and tightened the endlinks slightly past the suggested torque spec and I think they're still making some noise... it's frustrating.

Btw, I have a 2007 WRX sedan with a Whiteline 24 mm adjustable front sway bar and stock front endlinks currently set to the stiff setting. I also used a set of 56" Race Ramps to drive the car on when I installed everything so the suspension would be properly loaded.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#10 Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

sccaia is an unknown
Yeah thats my exact setup Man_Show, I took mine all back off and put it on soft setting hoping that would fix it no luck. Once its warm ill ###### mess with the endlink but in the mean time I assume its no big deal to drive on it? Also is yours doing a clicking noise or something else?
#11 Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I actually had two separate unusual metal-on-metal noises that I was able to find solutions to.

1. Lots of obvious/loud clicking from the front end shortly after the install of the Whiteline 24 mm adjustable sway bar and stock front endlinks set to stiff over every bump in the road and through every turn. Initially, I definitely didn't tighten the hardware enough. Everything was way too loose and rattling left and right as well as all over inside the holes. This might have caused a bit of damage to the endlink threads and/or slightly "egged" out the sway bar holes which I think is contributing to some of the noise I might be hearing now even though I cranked on everything slightly beyond the suggested torque spec. I haven't checked in a while though, so they might just be a little loose again - in which case, I'll use some high strength red Loc-tite, crank them a little more than last time, and hope for the best. If I find that the threads on the stock front endlinks are in pretty bad shape, I might have to find a creative solution or pick up some new stuff... time will tell.

2. Random metal-on-metal clunking in the rear a while after installing my Whiteline 22 mm rear sway bar, Perrin Stout Mounts, and Kartboy rear end links set to medium and then stiff. I found that the hardware on the passenger's side connecting the Kartboy endlink to the Whiteline sway bar had completely fallen out. When I hit bumps in the road, the disconnected endlink and sway bar would sometimes contact each other and make a light metal-on-metal noise. I just got some new hardware and used some red Loc-tite on it and cranked it beyond the torque specs again and so far, everything's holding up really well - the only visible damage was a few paint chips... everything seems structurally sound.

The main lesson I learned was to tighten aftermarket suspension components a little tighter than suggested... and use Loc-tite.

Right now, the only unusual noise I definitely hear sounds like it's coming from the front end of the car and it occurs most often when I back up into parking spaces and push the clutch in... it kind of clunks. I don't know if that's suspension-related or shift linkage-related or just some random creaking, but I want to investigate that further.

As far as running without sway bars (like when my rear bar was temporarily disconnected on one side), it's fine. Some guys remove their sway bars for rally-purposes so their suspension has more travel and the tires are able to contact the ground more on rougher terrain so they can go faster and have more control. On the street though, it's generally not the best idea since crisp handling is desirable and the sway bars help the body of the car resist leaning through turns.

In general, unusual noises are typically a sign that something is wrong. Pay attention to it and definitely investigate it if it gets worse.

John
#12 Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

sccaia is an unknown
Thanks for the great reply! yeah I did all my work on jack stands so it was not at ride height. I think this affected how tight we got them, to my ears the sound is like metal running across a thread which would be exactly how loose endlinks would be. Next nice day we will drive the car up on a 2x4 and crank it all down again. If that doesn't fix it ill buy new endlinks. I just wanted to make sure 100% that was the problem before I spent the money.
#13 Old 02-24-2011, 11:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

Do your research on endlinks.... The Kartboys endlinks and Whiteline bars have an issue. Just FYI

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#14 Old 02-24-2011, 06:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

sccaia - No problemo. Keep us posted if you find the problem and a solution.

pzr2874 - Yeah, I had trouble getting the Kartboy solid front endlinks to fit properly with the Whiteline 24 mm adjustable front sway bar - even with spacers. The angle was just... off. Hence, the stock front endlinks. For now. I, however, had no fitment issues with the Kartboy solid rear endlinks and Whiteline 22 mm adjustable rear sway bar on any of the three settings. My only issue was that I neglected to tighten the hardware enough the first time around. Thanks for pointing that out though - you're absolutely correct.

John
#15 Old 02-25-2011, 05:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

^^ If I'm not mistaken, Tom (I believe) at KB is sending out new spacers/grommets to help with this. On the other hand, buddy of mine received replacement shtuff from KB and it still make a clunk now and then.

Look into the Perrin endlinks... Never had an issue with mine.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3