Subaru WRX Forum banner

White Spark Plugs

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Noogin 
#1 ·
Well, when I changed my plugs the other day they were all a frosted white color like my engine is running real lean. I no longer have an aem short ram on the car because I heard that it is what caused the lean condition. Now that the stock intake (minus silencer) is on the car and with running 1 bar of boost (14.5 psi) my egt is hitting about 790 degrees celsius (which is about 1450 degrees farenheit). I was never able to get an egt reading with the intake on because i didn't have the gauge yet. I just wanted to make sure that my car is not running to lean. Any suggestions would help.

THanks for your time
Noogin

#5 ·
Yea, the 790 is at WOT and the only control I have is boost right now with a stock ecu. I know I know, get some managment but its hard making "The Decision" on what to get. I turned my boost down to about stock and hopfully with the POS intake gone, ill be ok until i do managment. I just wanted your opinions because you guys have helped me out with every querstion or problem I've come across.
Thanks again!!!! !Thumbs Up
Noogin

*by the way, i can chip away flakes off my plug, just alittle. Yet thos plugs had like 35000 miles with a intake. oops :rolleyes:

#6 ·
790 cruising I would say is too high. However, if you're at the track and you do a quarter mile, you are most likely going to hit 1600 F for a quarter of a second or so. Unless you have a PERFECT tune, or you're running too rich, it's just plain going to happen.

Hitting a high EGT for a split second isn't going to kill your engine. It's crusing for long periods at above normal temps which will do it.

Blue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.