white smoke from exhaust only at idle - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 Old 09-25-2007, 04:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
VF IHI turbos( VF30 39 40 etc.) will bolt right up but personally I HIGHLY recommend a tune after that ... if you go to a bigger turbo its gonna need a tune ... as well while you are at it and if it has not been done yet, I would recommend bigger injectors and fuel pump. Not a nessessity but thinking for the future. Basically save you money on your tune! Also you said that there was an intake and BOV on it ... BOV isnt really gonna change much, worst case is running rich in between shifts (popping sounds that people go on about), The intake however I would get rid of ... you dont really need it till about +350whp. Personally I'm not realy a big fan of the Cobb AP, very general maps ... I'd get a protune done to customize for your mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 Old 09-25-2007, 04:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

gleener11 is an unknown
i got 2 questions... 1) where is a reputable tuner shop in the kansas city area? and 2) is there one i could call and talk to about my problem?
post #18 of 35 Old 09-25-2007, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

05fpgreensti is an unknown
I had a similar issue a while ago and here was the problem.
There are little filters in the oil lines running to the turbo.
These filters slid up into the valve and clogged it. (Subies known for that)
the blockage restricted flow of oil to the turbo
turbo bearings go bad. (had a lot of "wiggle room")
this caused to burn oil (I had the same smoke coming out of my exhaust, first at idle, then all the time)
at this point the turbo is bad and you do not want to drive it. the turbine could smack into the housing breaking into pieces going into motor. (NOT GOOD)
I am not sure if this happened to you but it is possible.
Good Luck
post #19 of 35 Old 11-14-2007, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

robelia1 is an unknown
aight so i have a 2006 wrx with 24,000 miles on it, used conventional oil until this month, had my mechanic put 5 liters of synthetic oil as well as bolt on my catless turbo back exhaust and i did a cobb stage 2 reflash, now it seems to let out a light white smoke, which i believe is mostly a steam smoke coming out due to it being 60 degrees or below, but when given some gas a hint of blue comes out which i believe to be oil. Now do you think this is an oil problem? or simply the car going through the process of being switched to synthetic? should i worry here or not worry?
post #20 of 35 Old 11-14-2007, 04:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
It's not oil, which is blueish in color, I think it's the coating inside the TBE, if its brand new, it should go away if thats the case and wont be anything to worry about. No CELs right?

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
post #21 of 35 Old 11-14-2007, 06:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Johnders2586 is an unknown
i just wanted to jump in on this because the other day i was sitting idle waiting for someone in my 03 and all the sudden i smelled what didnt seem to be coolant but more oil and i look over and see white smoke coming from behind my car kinda freaked out.. i tried to idle it for a while today and it didnt do it...id kinda like to know whats going on
post #22 of 35 Old 11-14-2007, 10:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

robelia1 is an unknown
yea ive read up on the coating and stuff on the inside of the tbe, problem is ive had it almost a month now, id think the coating should be gone by now right?, the very end of the exhaust collects condensation and a small puddle of water, it lets out a smoke that isn't as heavy as i would think but it looks heavier than steam. Also when the engine is revved, a blueish tint comes out, ive done numerous things to my car at the same time, synthetic oil, tbe stage 2 etc so its making it tough to figure out,
post #23 of 35 Old 11-15-2007, 12:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

mr04wrx is more helpful than not
It also depends on if you have a cat or not. I don't have a cat on mine and it does the same thing every once in a while, usually in rush hour traffic or if it is started multiple times in a short period of time. Its because they run rich at idle from the factory. A good pro tine will help, or so I'm told. Have yet to try myself because of a lack of funds.
post #24 of 35 Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

robelia1 is an unknown
hmm that might work, you think the car running rich explains the white or the blue smoke? ive heard blue is for oil and im assuming that could be from switching conventional to synthetic? i think a smart idea for me to do would be to bring it to my mechanic, have him determine theres nothing wrong with the car before i bring it for a protune....?
post #25 of 35 Old 11-15-2007, 08:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Yeah I'd have the guy who installed it take a look for you, and +1 to the protune.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
post #26 of 35 Old 11-15-2007, 07:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

I forgot to mention that a use for the Cat is to help burn stuff before it leaves the tail pipe. It gets so hot that it would eliminate the little smoke that we get.
post #27 of 35 Old 01-04-2008, 10:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

MilesFox is an unknown
first things first. check the oil and coolant. see if the coolant is low. or see if the oil looks like milkshake. if your oil looks like milksake then fo'sho a head gasket

second with the sythn swithch, oil may be getting past the valve guides while reffing the engine

as far as white smoke and no milkshake, if you had the intake apart you may have bad intake gasket(s) which will introduce coolant into the combustion chamber
post #28 of 35 Old 04-20-2008, 04:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

VanillaJuice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to VanillaJuice
man ive got this same problem...white smoke with a HINT of blue only when im idling....i guess i need to get it checked out...i figured it was just because i just went catless...maybe not

Opensource tune by CAMTuning.com
Parts from Jeremy at Crucial Racing
post #29 of 35 Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

eman is an unknown
I've been getting a little white smoke recently as well. Havent looked into it too much yet but I did recently go cat-less and this is when I noticed it. So either its due to me not having the cats, or there is something else I need to take care of that I just wasnt noticing back when the cats were on.

ps my coolant level has not changed in the past week so that Ive been paying attention to it. I also did an oil change the day after I took the cats out and this was my first oil change on the car. I used full synth and dunno if it was synthetic before or not.
post #30 of 35 Old 04-30-2008, 07:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

I honestly think its from being catless. Even though this hasn't happened to me in quite a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement