01-16-2013, 12:29 PM
From: ca, Alberta, Canada
Registered: Jan 2013
Whining about my Whining noise... 2006 impreza 2.5i
So i've noticed over the last few days a whining noise and trying to determine the cause. Here's what I know:
- it appears to be coming from forward of the center of the dash
- pitch increases with speed (but not tied to rpms)
- during deceleration or low speeds it's much lower pitched and sounds like it's coming from slightly left and actually a secondary whine
- in neutral when stopped I hear nothing - can rev and hold higher revs and get nothing
- if i drop into neutral when at speed I still hear the noise as I decelerate
- if i drop into neutral and shut off the engine while at speed I still hear the noise
- doesn't appear to have any loss of power/shuttering or otherwise "feel" different when driving or turning
I've only got 93k on it and the transmission was open to replace the plastic speedo gear about 15k ago. Tranny fluid is full and is a light brown translucent color right now. I've noticed on cold days it's sometimes hard to get into first/reverse - but I would expect that?
So obviously it has something to do with the rolling chassis at this point. So, differential? Bearings? Other thoughts?
Any other diagnostics I can try to see if it can be narrowed down?