Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
- Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
- - Whining about my Whining noise... 2006 impreza 2.5i (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/whining-about-my-whining-noise-2006-impreza-2-5i-33495/)
Whining about my Whining noise... 2006 impreza 2.5i
So i've noticed over the last few days a whining noise and trying to determine the cause. Here's what I know:
- it appears to be coming from forward of the center of the dash
- pitch increases with speed (but not tied to rpms)
- during deceleration or low speeds it's much lower pitched and sounds like it's coming from slightly left and actually a secondary whine
- in neutral when stopped I hear nothing - can rev and hold higher revs and get nothing
- if i drop into neutral when at speed I still hear the noise as I decelerate
- if i drop into neutral and shut off the engine while at speed I still hear the noise
- doesn't appear to have any loss of power/shuttering or otherwise "feel" different when driving or turning
I've only got 93k on it and the transmission was open to replace the plastic speedo gear about 15k ago. Tranny fluid is full and is a light brown translucent color right now. I've noticed on cold days it's sometimes hard to get into first/reverse - but I would expect that?
So obviously it has something to do with the rolling chassis at this point. So, differential? Bearings? Other thoughts?
Any other diagnostics I can try to see if it can be narrowed down?
Are your tires chopped?
nope. no tire chop that i can see. They are winter tired (studded) with probably 10-15k on them.
I noticed today on the way home the low pitched noise is getting stronger and very apparent at lower speeds and on deceleration.
Going to jack it up tonight and see if i can hear anything when rotating the wheels by hand.
Its studded snow tires. Put stocks back on and see if still have it
Sent from my LG-P925 using AutoGuide.com App
So I jacked up the car tonight and to my surprise (horror?) I noticed oil dripping down the entire side of the transmission housing. It looks like every bolt is leaking? Now that being said - the fluid level is full and looks clean. See images linked. I also spun the front wheels as fast as I could by hand without hearing "the noise". So does this look like i'm in trouble? Defiantly outside of my comfort zone now.
Did you have the work done 15K ago? Or did you buy the car after it was done?
If YOU had it done, take it back to the place that did it. That would piss me off
So, looks like the "leak" might actually just be some PB buster? that was sprayed on after my last oil change a few weeks back. I cleaned it off and no drops over night. Will drive around a bit to see what happens. I'm pretty confident that there isn't a leak (or at least nothing major) as all fluid levels are good. Going to attach cam under the car to see if i can pinpoint the noise.
sounds like it could be a throw out bearing. does the noise stay away when your on the gas with very little pressure? and does it come back say when your driving at the top end of a gear and let go go the gas pedal? most of what u said in your post sounds like it could be the throw out bearing. if thats the case theres no easy way to fix it.you would have to remove the transmission to get access to the bearing. just make sure when u do put the bearing back in that you put the right amount of lube on the input shaft so the noise dont come back,but not to much lube that will sling off the shaft and onto the clutch that may cause slipping.i had to take my tranny out twice and the second time i didnt check the lube and now i have the noise and this is on a brand new clutch kit/throw out bearing
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8pl1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.