Subaru WRX Forum banner

What's that sound ????

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JBG 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Bought a MY05 WRX Wagon recently. Automatic transmission. Never driven a comparison car which unfortunately means when I hear "strange" sounds coming from the car, I don't know if they are supposed to be there.

Sound:
When I turn the ignition key to power on the electrics (but not crank the engine) a mid-to-high pitch whine can be heard (the sound remains after engine is started too I'll just say).

It is a little bit annoying (though with engine running or stereo it gets mostly drowned out).

It is not emitted from the speakers...... I "think" the source of the noise is coming from the area around the drivers pedals (that's as far as my big head will go :p )

Is this normal?

What do you think it could be?

Many thanks as always !
Jason

See less See more
#2 ·
If you get a high pitched noise you could be hearing the fuel pump but its not down there by your feet its behind you in the fuel tank.

Could be the AC fan but thats down by your passengers feet not your, try powering the AC on an off see if that makes it go away.

Finally you might be having issues with your power steering setup, you might be getting some vibration from the steering column.

Does it sound like a bearing rubbing? or electrical?

#3 ·
Okay had a good listen under the hood / back of car / front of car.

The sound definitely is being emitted from around the general area of steering column somewhere (it's at it's loudest point when my head is near the pedals i.e. louder than when I'm sitting in the drivers seat).

I would describe the sound as "electrical whine"

Jason

P.S. Thanks articscythe for your prevoius post on my car audio too. After much thought I have changed my mind and will be purchasing an Amplifier soon to run the front 6.5" speakers as you had recommended.

#4 · (Edited)
The offending sound turned out to be emitted from a possibly faulty alarm system (?).

As the car has had multiple owners, my guess is a previous owner did not know the PIN for the alarm system and so attempted to disconnect it (which made the PIN pad non functional). The result was this constant annoying whine sound.

The mechanic at the local servicing garage removed the offending device (see pictures) and the noise has stopped (THANK GOD!)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.