What to expect from my wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-20-2010, 01:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

whiskers is an unknown
What to expect from my wrx

Hi all,

I was just wondering what should i expect from my wrx, power wise? I have never been in a wrx before and mine isnt running right just yet. Its knocking at low rpm(and pulling timing, dont know why) but up high in a WOT run it seems to accelerate smoothly and peaks at 11-12psi. However if this is running even close to what it should i am very dissapointed. My previous car a s13 with an exhaust used to put you back in your seat from 3500rpm and pulled hard all the way to redline, leaving you with a smile on your face you couldnt wipe off. It could also cruise up this hill in 5th with 4-5psi easy, i used to do it every day. Drop the clutch and your fishtailing easy down the road till about 80km/hr. This wrx feels like max pull is at 3000 rpm and then accelerates like a commodore/falcon if that to redline. The same hill in 5th needs like 10psi or a down change to 4th to hit 5-4psi (but i swear i eam reving higher than the s13 in 5th). I am exspecting too much from my wrx?

stock buyeye wrx

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-20-2010, 02:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

02WRXbugeye is an unknown
Just look at some acceleration videos of stock 02-03 wrx's to compare the speed of your wrx. Make sure it is a video of a stock wrx though.
#3 Old 06-20-2010, 07:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
You could always try replacing the stock downpipe with an aftermarket bellmouth-style downpipe and get a nice Stage 2 tune.. that'll increase power nicely for you and maintain reliability if it's your daily driver.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 06-20-2010, 02:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
I don't think you should expect to be thrown back in the seat by a stock bugeye. You are getting about 165-175 whp, which is going to have similar acceleration to a 2 wheel drive car at 200 bhp. So expect similar acceleration to a stock V6 Ford Mustang, VW GTI, Audi A3/A5, Honda Civic Si, Hyundai Genesis 2.0, etc.

Like John said, exhaust and a tune will probably give you that sports car feel you seem to be looking for.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2