Subaru WRX Forum banner

What could cause loss of power to dash display, radio, heater controls ?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Ruso 
#1 ·
Ok, I was heading home from work a few days ago and noticed that the dash display in my '09 REX (that shows temp/mileage/time) was out. In further checking, I discovered the radio and heater/ventilation controls were out as well. wtf. The car seemed to drive ok, so I proceeded across town.

I then pulled every fuse out of the fuse box, and inspected it for being blown and re-seated. None were blown. Tried to start the car, and after about 5 seconds of cranking, it finally started. I soon noticed that it was not boosting, and seemed to be in a limp-home mode. I reset the ECU and then reflashed. Everything is now working ok for the last few days.

My concern is that if it had been real cold or dark that day, that I would not have had defrost or lights, and would have been totally screwed.

Any idea what may have caused this issue? Some other people have suggested a bad ignition switch. The only clue I have to relate to that is when I was going to reflash with my AP, it asked several times to "TURN IGNITION KEY OFF AND THEN BACK ON" before it would allow me to proceed to do the reflash.

#6 ·
I just had the same think happened to me last night. What I noticed after I pulled over is that as soon as I touched the ignition key to turn the car off (with out even turning it off) the display and the radio kicked back on. Than I tried witching it on and off few times and it was fine. Worked OK this morning as well... Did anyone figured it out what it is?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.