wet floor mats and window condensation - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-02-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tknuuttune is an unknown
wet floor mats and window condensation

My son has a 2002 WRX, without a sunroof.

He's away at college and comes home some weekends and uses the car, otherwise the car stays outside in the driveway all week, and we're in NH, so its often has a layer of snow on it.

We've noticed as the car sits there that the inside of the windows have had a lot of condensation on them, and when he did come home to drive it, the floor mats were all very wet. The windshield also developed a crack at the same time we discovered this, but not sure if it could have been caused by the cold temps and condensation, thoughts?

He also has a ski rack on the car, the type that clamps down on the door frame area.

We thought that the ski rack may have been causing a leak on the door seals, so we removed it, dried out the interior, and left it again, and the same thing happened, after sitting a few days it again had a wet floor and condensation on the window.

I don't think its the door seals, but I'm not positive. Are there any drain plugs anywhere I should check for being clogged? How about the outside vent, just in front of the windshield, when water goes in there, where does it drain out to? I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-02-2008, 07:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
try using a hose and spraying water on it andhave someone on the inside looking for the leak.

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #3 of 13 Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

"sub"erman is an unknown
Double check the weatherstripping around the windows, especially around the doors. Make sure they are making a good seal when the windows are rolled up and you close the door, then roll down the windows and roll them back up to make sure they are seating correctly. With that much moisture around, a small leak in the stripping could lead to some problems.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tknuuttune is an unknown
the weather stripping looked pretty good, but its worth a 2nd look, its just been so dam cold out lately, which is why I can't do as one of the other posters suggested (spray it down with water and look for leaks). It will probably be a few weeks before could even think of hooking up a hose here.

But if the weather stripping was the problem, I would think that I would see wet door panels, but I don't. Roof liner isn't wet either.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
does the car smell like anitfreeze? As in the heater core leaking.

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #6 of 13 Old 04-02-2008, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tknuuttune is an unknown
No, its not antifreeze, its surely water thats in the car.
Thanks
post #7 of 13 Old 04-02-2008, 11:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

MilesFox is an unknown
suppose the windshield is leaking, and the crack developed from ice that froze between the glass and the seal. is there any discoloration around the edges of the windshield? anywhare along the bottom edge?
post #8 of 13 Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
from the sound of things it's gotta be the cracked winshield b/c im assuming u didnt have this issue before it was cracked. the condensation on the windows is from the water on your floor trying to evaporate therefore showing up on windows and not on door panels. i know nothing about the drains but u need to try to dry it up asap b/c u need to try to prevent rust as much as possible. talk to your insurance about them replacing your cracked windshield.

just my 2 pennies

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #9 of 13 Old 04-03-2008, 12:20 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
i worked at a place that did water leak diagnosis. we would take the kick panel mouldings and 2 front seats out, then we would peel back as much of the carpeting as you can, and dry the floor pan really well. have somebody with a garden hose on the outside spray water in until you see it dripping. follow the water until you see where it is coming from. (like mentioned above) its most likley comming from the windshield, mabey not through the crack but if the crack goes the whole way to the edge of the glass it could leak through the urethane seal and drip down the a pillars to the floor.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #10 of 13 Old 03-25-2010, 04:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

NoTech is an unknown
Check the are were the spare tire is located. If the trunk seal is bad water pools in this area. When the car is braking or parked with the nose slightly down. The water will travel the channels of the body. Into the floor of the car.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
You could bring it into a carwash. That what I did with my honda and I found the water leak. The extra pressure from the carwash helped me find it. Also, if the rack is not installed properly, it could be causing the leak. Good luck finding where the water is coming from!
post #12 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 01:39 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
I hope he found out were the leak was, its was 2 years ago!

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #13 of 13 Old 03-26-2010, 03:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
Good catch nagy . I guess I just look at the "active topics" and assume they are current.