Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   wet floor mats and window condensation (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/wet-floor-mats-window-condensation-22865/)

tknuuttune 04-02-2008 07:09 PM

wet floor mats and window condensation

My son has a 2002 WRX, without a sunroof.

He's away at college and comes home some weekends and uses the car, otherwise the car stays outside in the driveway all week, and we're in NH, so its often has a layer of snow on it.

We've noticed as the car sits there that the inside of the windows have had a lot of condensation on them, and when he did come home to drive it, the floor mats were all very wet. The windshield also developed a crack at the same time we discovered this, but not sure if it could have been caused by the cold temps and condensation, thoughts?

He also has a ski rack on the car, the type that clamps down on the door frame area.

We thought that the ski rack may have been causing a leak on the door seals, so we removed it, dried out the interior, and left it again, and the same thing happened, after sitting a few days it again had a wet floor and condensation on the window.

I don't think its the door seals, but I'm not positive. Are there any drain plugs anywhere I should check for being clogged? How about the outside vent, just in front of the windshield, when water goes in there, where does it drain out to? I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks

Jave 04-02-2008 07:15 PM

try using a hose and spraying water on it andhave someone on the inside looking for the leak.

"sub"erman 04-02-2008 08:49 PM

Double check the weatherstripping around the windows, especially around the doors. Make sure they are making a good seal when the windows are rolled up and you close the door, then roll down the windows and roll them back up to make sure they are seating correctly. With that much moisture around, a small leak in the stripping could lead to some problems.

tknuuttune 04-02-2008 09:01 PM

the weather stripping looked pretty good, but its worth a 2nd look, its just been so dam cold out lately, which is why I can't do as one of the other posters suggested (spray it down with water and look for leaks). It will probably be a few weeks before could even think of hooking up a hose here.

But if the weather stripping was the problem, I would think that I would see wet door panels, but I don't. Roof liner isn't wet either.

Jave 04-02-2008 10:09 PM

does the car smell like anitfreeze? As in the heater core leaking.

tknuuttune 04-02-2008 11:26 PM

No, its not antifreeze, its surely water thats in the car.
Thanks

MilesFox 04-02-2008 11:38 PM

suppose the windshield is leaking, and the crack developed from ice that froze between the glass and the seal. is there any discoloration around the edges of the windshield? anywhare along the bottom edge?

baller_v24 04-02-2008 11:48 PM

from the sound of things it's gotta be the cracked winshield b/c im assuming u didnt have this issue before it was cracked. the condensation on the windows is from the water on your floor trying to evaporate therefore showing up on windows and not on door panels. i know nothing about the drains but u need to try to dry it up asap b/c u need to try to prevent rust as much as possible. talk to your insurance about them replacing your cracked windshield.

just my 2 pennies

nagyhead 04-03-2008 12:20 AM

i worked at a place that did water leak diagnosis. we would take the kick panel mouldings and 2 front seats out, then we would peel back as much of the carpeting as you can, and dry the floor pan really well. have somebody with a garden hose on the outside spray water in until you see it dripping. follow the water until you see where it is coming from. (like mentioned above) its most likley comming from the windshield, mabey not through the crack but if the crack goes the whole way to the edge of the glass it could leak through the urethane seal and drip down the a pillars to the floor.

NoTech 03-25-2010 04:55 AM

Check the are were the spare tire is located. If the trunk seal is bad water pools in this area. When the car is braking or parked with the nose slightly down. The water will travel the channels of the body. Into the floor of the car.

gunk007 03-26-2010 01:32 PM

You could bring it into a carwash. That what I did with my honda and I found the water leak. The extra pressure from the carwash helped me find it. Also, if the rack is not installed properly, it could be causing the leak. Good luck finding where the water is coming from!

nagyhead 03-26-2010 01:39 PM

I hope he found out were the leak was, its was 2 years ago!

gunk007 03-26-2010 03:16 PM

Good catch nagy ROFL . I guess I just look at the "active topics" and assume they are current.