Subaru WRX Forum banner

Waste gate solenoid

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
Recently installed a cold air intake, with the accessport 1+ cold air tune. I down shifted on the highway and got a code for my waste gate solenoid. I reset ecu and the code hasn't come back. However I'm now constantly boosting 14 psi. Instead of the normal go to about 14 and bounce back down to 11 psi like it was before. Brought it to my mechanic he said there was nothing to fix. can anyone give suggestions on what I should do ?

#2 ·
I regularly trust my tuner with my life, He installed my brakes and my suspension. If you trust your tuner and he says your A-OK then I would trust him.

If your not sure about your mechanic then it could be an issue with your CAI. You didnt mention the brand of your cold air, Im pretty sure the only intakes Cobb has OTS maps for are AEM and Cobb SF.

If your intake is by any other brand I would remove it and roll back to OEM, then do an OEM stage 1 pull with the OEM OTS map. If The CEL comes back you might have an issue with your waste-gate but usually those wastegate CELs are caused by ove rboost or boost creep.

What parts do you have on your car? and please take a safe log and upload it so we can help you out better

#3 ·
Sorry, I got the AEM cold air intake. I was reading on cobbs website and they said that waste gate solenoid is a common code and they said to change your map to the LWG (low waste gate) version of the AEM CAI map and that should help, which hopefully it does.

#4 ·
I was looking at cobbs map notes for stage 1+ on anything after 09 I think the target boost is 16.5 psi depending on your location. 91 octane stage 1+ is targeted at 16psi. Depending on your model (08 had lower target boost) you may be having a waste-gate issue. Have then do a boost leak test and see where your losing the fog, Unless your on an 08 you should be seeing peaks between 15.5 and 17psi on the OTS Stage 1+ AEM map. Any chance its particularly cold where you are? Sometimes cold temperatures combined with high boost can put extra stress on your wastegate.

Trying to keep things generic cause I dont have your year or model, I would start with a boost leak test, then have a tuner (not the mechanic from mom&pops car repair shop) test the waste-gate actuator and boost control solenoid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.