very stupid mistake.....kinda worried - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-27-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
very stupid mistake.....kinda worried

So I'm about 4000mi since last oil change, getting it done Monday. Anyway since its been so many miles I had to add about half a quart last sunday. Me being a dumb Ass left the oil cap off untill Friday when I checked the oil again. There was a little oil under my hood and on the battery not to bad only had to add about 1/4 quart. So I'm worried that something may have got in and might ruin my motor that I just had built not long ago. So do you think if something was going to happen it would of happened by now, or is there something I can do to make sure nothing is in there.... I know I'm a f'ing idiot but feel free to let me know how much of one I am.!Cry!

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-27-2011, 07:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
As long as you didn't splash through water or anything....then I'd say you got lucky. You should really watch your oil better though. Sometimes half a QT low or just a bit more can ruin stuff. Definatly can damage stuff at 1 QT low. What kind of built engine? Just pistons?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #3 of 9 Old 08-27-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

^ got brand new block from Subaru, then built bottom end. Pistons, berrings, rods, everything else.

I guess it wasn't exactly low it was just on the low line and took about 1/2 quart to bring it back to full.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-27-2011, 08:32 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If you are worried about something getting in it, you can flush the entire engines fluid. Its expensive as you are going to use alot of fluids, but that way you can see if anything comes out. I did something similar to this when my first 20G ate itself on the dyno. Flushed the oil 3 times to make sure no metal or anything was in the engine.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #5 of 9 Old 08-27-2011, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Bah your fine. You'd be hard pressed to get anything in that hole being that close to the hood. Even if it rained I seriously doubt that enough would get in there to cause issues...Man I thought it was serious like you got a ticket or something...lol

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #6 of 9 Old 08-27-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Bah your fine. You'd be hard pressed to get anything in that hole being that close to the hood. Even if it rained I seriously doubt that enough would get in there to cause issues...Man I thought it was serious like you got a ticket or something...lol
exactly what I needed to hear. Maybe I can quit stressing now, I was hoping It would be okay but its nice to have a second opinion.....

I'm to old to be getting tickets "cross my fingers", I'm just now getting good insurance rates and I would like to keep it that way.

post #7 of 9 Old 08-28-2011, 05:07 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I don't see how anything serious got into there, I wouldn't stress about that. And as long as the dip stick read above the line after the incident, I wouldn't lose any sleep over that either. I would say your biggest mess up was waiting 4k miles between changes

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #8 of 9 Old 08-29-2011, 06:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
As long as you didn't splash through water or anything....then I'd say you got lucky. You should really watch your oil better though. Sometimes half a QT low or just a bit more can ruin stuff. Definatly can damage stuff at 1 QT low. What kind of built engine? Just pistons?

At least it wasn't the friggin drainplug

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #9 of 9 Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah yeah, that sorta is my fault and a freak accident all at once though. You d!ckhead. !Notfunny! (Think of that as a term of enderment for the sarcasam lol)

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae