Subaru WRX Forum banner

Valve oil seal replacement

6K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  LiL Shoaf 
#1 ·
Got a few questions, hopefully someone can help. I have a completely stock '03 bugeye, 69,000 miles, and have been going through a lot of troubleshooting on boost problems, and smoke from the exhaust on cold startup and hard driving. I did find out that my stock turbo died, looks like the bearings went out. No big deal, I got a rebuild from Deadbolt which I'm putting in now.
My big issue is that I pulled the spark plugs, and I'm definitely burning oil in the #3 cylinder (rear passenger side cylinder). I'm hoping it's just the oil seal in the valves on that cylinder, and was wondering if anyone knows if you have to remove the camshaft to replace the oil seals? I have the factory repair book and it doesn't really give any info on doing a repair like that. Hopefully someone can help.
And also, does it seem kind of odd that a stock WRX would have this type of problem at this kind of mileage?
Thanks for any info that can be passed my way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.