Valve Cover Gasket/Camshaft Seal - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-14-2005, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Valve Cover Gasket/Camshaft Seal

Alright installed my uppipe, on the way home at a stoplight, smoking was pouring from my hood. Pulled over and to my suprise, an orange flame, yes a flame was under my hood right by the uppipe. It went out on its own, I made it home to find that I was leaking oil onto my uppipe and I guess the heat of the pipe ignited the oil. But anyways, I found out I am leaking oil from the Valve Cover Gasket or the Camshaft seal, hence the title of the thread. I have heard of people knocking the camshaft seal when pulling hte stock uppipe out. But both the driver side and passanger side are leaking. Passanger is pretty bad, driver is just drips. Now the question is, what would cause the other side to leak, and does it indicate a broken motor. The car pulled fine on the way home, and I didn't WOT or break .66 bar or go over 5k RPMs so I drove it somewhat lightly. I am hoping the driver side leak is just because the passanger side leak and maybe air got in or something and caused the driver's side to leak. What are all of ya'll's thoughts? Heard the fix wasn't that bad, but I just hope it isn't a chronic problem and my motor isn't shot. I'm hoping I replace the gaskets, and be done w/ it. Begin posting now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-14-2005, 03:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

sublime81m is an unknown
did the same thing two weeks ago u can get the gasket from subaru for 6 bucks and put some sealant on it and put it back in place i havent seen it drip since
post #3 of 5 Old 03-14-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Was your driver side leaking as well, because both of mine are?
post #4 of 5 Old 03-14-2005, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

sublime81m is an unknown
i cant be sure but i dont think it was it very well could have been but it was apparent that oil was coming out of the passenger side after i fixed that it hasent been leaking
post #5 of 5 Old 03-18-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Well I got the car back and everything is fine except that the guy at the dealer said I have carbon deposits which indicates an exhaust leak. Now the carbon deposits I am guessing might be from the fire, but what are other signs/symptoms of an uppipe leak? When I drive it I hear like a small high pitched whine type of noise. But it is not loud.