Turbo whistling Sound - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jhop is an unknown
Question Turbo whistling Sound

My husband and I have a 2002 WRX wagon with about 70,000 miles on it. We just purchased it this summer and we have had numerous problems with it, although it is a sweet car The most recent was after my husband went driving it in the snow. I am sure he "got on it" a little harder than he normally does, and ever since, the turbo has been making a high pitched whistling noise. I saw other people describing this on the forum but our turbo doesn't seem to be affected by it, it's just really annoying. The whistling begins when the turbo kicks in and as you push the pedal harder, the sound gets higher (almost like letting the air out of a balloon).

We took it to the Subaru Dealer yesterday (which is 70 miles away) and they didn't even look inside the hood; they just drove it and assumed that it is a bearing in the turbo and wanted us to just get the whole turbo replaced, but we declined because 1. we can't afford to right now 2. the car drives just fine 3. we're not sure that's actually the problem.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Could there be some sort of hose or connection that is loose?

Another weird thing that started happening after my husband took the car for a joy ride is that the clock on the dash randomly stopped working (we thought it was cold weather, but maybe it's related to the turbo issue). Just the other day the CD player turned off for a second and then turned back on along with the other electronics in the center console.

I am not an expert in cars, much less Subarus, so I would greatly appreciate as much explanation as possible if you think you might know what's going on with our car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 11:42 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Sounds like the mechanic thought it was a general "whine of death" sound. I have no reason to disagree with him, it's pretty distinctive. The turbo in the car is probably shot. Will it continue to run? Yes, although power will be greatly reduced. Long term if you leave it broken in there it might cause other issues, no experience with that.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If the car is stock, is possible either the cat in the up pipe finally broke apart and went through the turbo (requiring both a new up pipe and turbo) or the sensor in the up pipe broke off and went through the turbo (again requiring both the up pipe and turbo to be replaced). Like Mosc said the car can and probably will continue to work, but not only is the turbo going to need replaced, realize that the metal shavings and other debris that is going/has gone through there has to go somewhere, and its usually into the engine, which will cause much more damage and cost much more to be remedied. If you need a replacement turbo PM me as I have my stock turbo still (in great working order with no issues, I just upgraded to a bigger turbo).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #4 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 12:50 PM

Garage
Yeah, although anyone with any knowledge would already know, you might want to remind your mechanic to check the uppipe cat and the oil for loose metal bits when changing the turbo.

post #5 of 8 Old 02-18-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jhop is an unknown
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. The only thing is that we can still hear the usual sound that the turbo makes along with this other noise and it seems like the turbo is working just fine. Maybe I'm just in denial... Newtothegame thanks for the offer and I'll message you if we decide to get the new one soon.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-18-2010, 09:41 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
No problem at all. I hope for the best with the car. I know its never easier hearing that it might be broke. Good luck with it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #7 of 8 Old 02-18-2010, 03:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhop View Post
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. The only thing is that we can still hear the usual sound that the turbo makes along with this other noise and it seems like the turbo is working just fine. Maybe I'm just in denial... Newtothegame thanks for the offer and I'll message you if we decide to get the new one soon.
They don't always die in a blaze of glory, it can be a more gradual process. The sound you're hearing is the sound of inefficiency, not complete failure. Although, I'd wager, it's well on that path.

post #8 of 8 Old 02-19-2010, 01:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

stevecrc is an unknown
Could this be the boost leak due to a cracked hose or loose clamp before the intake manifold? I remember when I had my downpipe and exhaust installed, the mechanic had to take out the TMIC to get more room to loose the 2 bolts that held the downpipe. When I test drove the car, I noticed there's a huge leaking sound as boost was being generated. I took it back to the shop and he said he had forgotten to tighten the clamps back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement