Turbo seals shot/New turbo replacement? help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

flsubygrl is an unknown
Unhappy Turbo seals shot/New turbo replacement? help

I am possibly look at having to get a new turbo since I cant find any one that can rebuild the stock V39

I was told by the mechanic the seals on my turbo are shot, there is oil eveywhere, abnormal amount in intake, intercooler ect...My challenge here is where I live I litterally am the only person in my county that owns an STi, no one locally knows crap about turbo and Im new to Subaru---

If i go ahead and get a new turbo like the TDO5H{blouch performance in PA} what other upgrades if any do I need to do with it? The actuator is calculated with @ 9psi unless you choose to have that upgraded, since its not much of a larger turbo, would it be necessary to make any changes since its a direct bolt on?

I have given up on my stock turbo since no one @ here knows much about the IHI turbos.

What else should I be checking when installing the new turbo, IE Crankcase issues, oil drain tubes ect

what things should i look for that may have cause the stock turbo to crap out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2010, 08:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You can't rebuild IHI turbos so you'll have to get a new one if it is shot. How many miles on the car? Ya have to remember that turbos are subject to extreme heat and extremely high rpm's (think 100k rpms). Depending on the mileage and severity of driving it's possible it's just dead from wearing out over time.

Mods you'd have to do I can't get to specific, but definitely a tune. If you're looking for a turbo that will simply replace the stocker and keep power levels the same, everything else should be fine. You'll just need to get re-tuned to take care of any differences in the turbo. Now if you're interested in making more power, consider an 18 or 20g setup. For that you'd need to upgraded your injectors, fuel pump, and also get tuned.

Another idea would just be looking at classifieds for used VF39's and then you just swap it and you're done.

Another item to consider since you're down there, is to get a catless uppipe. They have been known to fall apart and send crap through the turbo, killing them. You're model year is the last year to have the cat fyi. It will add a bit of power, but the main reason is to give you a good safety factor. It could have even been the cause of your turbo going out. If you pull it, check the turbine and see if the fins look really chopped up- that's the sign you sucked up the cat in the uppipe.

Hope this helps.

-Chris
#3 Old 01-15-2010, 05:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^ +123456 just find a used one on NASIOC and call it a day. If you are still new to the cars... I wouldn't reccomend gettng into all the goodies just yet.

I don't believe she has a cat in her UP. Could be off.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#4 Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Paul you would be correct all STi's have a catless UP as do all 06+ WRX's

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#5 Old 01-15-2010, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Good to know, thought it was all pre 06's.

-Chris
#6 Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
also it's not all IHI turbo's that are non-rebuildable only the ball bearing models

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#7 Old 01-15-2010, 10:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The UP cats are a 2.0 engine WRX thing. 2.5 WRXs and all STIs are UP catless.

Basco: Nice to know, that its only a ball bearing related issue. Thanks.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 01-16-2010, 03:50 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Anyways no one really answered you about upgrading the turbo. If you got anything other than stock, you would need a full exhaust (turbo back exhaust), fuel pump, injectors, and larger intercooler, plus a tune to run it all. There also little things that can be thrown in there like an intake and a 3 port BCS.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 01-17-2010, 03:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

thack03 is an unknown
couldn't run a 16g with only exhaust and tune? because wrx's only call for sti tmic and injectors and exhaust for a 16g and itll spool faster. once again though thats wrxs, i would guess an sti would work the same, but you could also want to upgrade everything, it depends on your budget
#10 Old 01-17-2010, 10:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

flsubygrl is an unknown
Thanks for your help

apparently IHI and subaru have a contract and thats the reason you cant get a rebuild kit for the V39....I decided to get a TDO5H, my mechanic is only gonna charge me like $150 to put it all back together, since I live in the middle of no where I gotta take it to Orlando to get to reprogram the comp.

The "experts" at the shop Im taking it to basically deal with the STI/EVO's so I pray they should know the are doing....they say the TDO5H is not too much bigger and really just making the adjustments to the comp should do it. {a/f ratio ect}

Does anyone have any recommendations for good shops in FL? I live like an hour north of tampa, obviously willing to drive a few hours to make sure I get good work done
#11 Old 01-17-2010, 11:11 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Which TD05 are you getting?? There are several out there, to include and 18G and a 20G size turbo. The "TD05" part is only part of the turbo.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 01-17-2010, 07:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by flsubygrl View Post
apparently IHI and subaru have a contract...
IHI doesn't make them rebuildable because its cheaper to make a turbo that isn't rebuildable. That's what I've been told.

I used to believe that IHI was on of the 6 companies merged into Subaru. But, I can't find any info confirming that. So, I can't say that they are. But, they do make most of the STI turbos. Maybe a major sales partner, something like that.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#13 Old 05-01-2011, 07:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

EducateMe is an unknown
I'm new with performance cars and recently bought a used 09 wrx hatch from a dealer with 34k miles on it. After a day of driving it the turbo starting to make a weird metal sounding scratchy noise around 3k rpm's when the turbo kicked in. At times i couldnt go over 40 mph in any gear. My cel light, traction control light, and cruise control light are all on. I sound like an idiot from not knowing whats going on. I drove it home & parked it. Blue smoke began to billow out of the tailpipe. The turbo is still under warantee so i think im all set. Just worried about what it really is, blown seal, etc? Let me know, thank you.

Just trying to learn more about cars.
#14 Old 05-01-2011, 08:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

the fact that it's under warranty just get it towed to the dealer and say here its your problem

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#15 Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'd be absolutely certain that there isn't shrapnel in the oil pan. You might be needing a new short block as well. The '05 and up turbo failures we see at the shop usually take the bottom end out with it. Matt is correct, it is the dealers problem.