Turbo Problems!!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

White02 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to White02
Turbo Problems!!!

I have the stock turbo with almost 140,000 miles I have noticed a faint rattle for a couple thousand miles now and could never find where it was coming from. I don't have any heat shealds left on the car. Other than the noise the car runs strong no problems other than a slight boost fluctuation that has been there for ever now. Today I got in it and no boost so I looked under the hood and the wastegate is stuck open and the rattle is a little louder now and I can tell it's coming from the turbo and sounds like its on the inside, so I haven't driven it since because it almost sounds like something is broken off and bouncing around. Unfortuantly I'm at work so I can't take her apart right now I was just wondering if anyone has any advice before I leave work. I don't wanna blow anything into the motor if thats what it is and I don't wanna pay for a tow it if it's something else and I can drive it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-23-2009, 05:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Is your actuator arm still connected? Maybe that little c-clip fell off and it's just dangling now, causing a rattling. I guess that would keep the wastegate closed though.

Other than that maybe you sucked up a chunk of the uppipe cat... Hopefully not though.

-Chris
post #3 of 10 Old 10-23-2009, 06:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
worse comes to worse you can buy those stock TDO4 turbos on ebay and or from people on here pretty cheap when they take theirs off to upgrade, just an idea to keep ya thinking about
post #4 of 10 Old 10-25-2009, 02:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

midniteblack is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to midniteblack
Does the wastegate actuator arm move around freely if you try moving it? Possibly take your d/p off and check the wastegate flap to see if it's broken.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-25-2009, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

White02 is an unknown
The arm is still conected and doesn't move at all but you can see that is is stuck open. I made it home it runs fine other than no boost. I'll probably take it all apart tomorrow if I get out of work on time. I'm guessing I'll probably need a new turbo sounds like the shaft is loose or something. It's got 140k on it anyways, so if anyone has one let me know.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

midniteblack is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to midniteblack
They're pretty much a dime a dozen man. Should be able to fine one for fairly cheap. Try the local forums in Nasioc or Craigslist.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-26-2009, 12:06 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by White02 View Post
The arm is still conected and doesn't move at all but you can see that is is stuck open. I made it home it runs fine other than no boost. I'll probably take it all apart tomorrow if I get out of work on time. I'm guessing I'll probably need a new turbo sounds like the shaft is loose or something. It's got 140k on it anyways, so if anyone has one let me know.
If you are looking for a turbo, I have a stock one that has about 16,xxx miles on it. PM me if you are interested.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #8 of 10 Old 10-27-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

White02 is an unknown
So the turbo looks good there isn't any play in the shaft and its not leaking. As I said before the wastegate is open and the wastegate flap seams to be loose it wiggles around on the conecting arm. I don't recall if this is normal it has been a while since I took one out.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

White02 is an unknown
Ok I just took off the wastegate actulator and it is no longer stuck open the actulator arm pulls out and goes back every time and the flap and conecting arm opens and closes freely.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-30-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

White02 is an unknown
The wastegate flap is bad so does anyone know if I can replace just that or if I have to replace the whole exhaust housing? And if so does anyone have one laying around?