Subaru WRX Forum banner

Turbo Problems....

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  nick4592 
#1 ·
I just bought an 02 wrx and i think the turbo stopped working...and cant tell why...it wont boost at all. This is the second time this has happened... any ideas???

#9 ·
So i found out that the previous owner was trying to boost 18-20 lbs out of the original stock turbo, and that on the new turbo, the wastegate stopped openning. I have a new turbo on the way and its all covered under warranty. Plus im getting new braks all the way around....

#11 ·
sentramike said:
So i found out that the previous owner was trying to boost 18-20 lbs out of the original stock turbo, and that on the new turbo, the wastegate stopped openning. I have a new turbo on the way and its all covered under warranty. Plus im getting new braks all the way around....
Who told you this?

If the wastegate stopped opening the exact opposite of your problem would happen. The turbo would boost through the roof. The purpose of the wastegate opening is to divert exhaust flow from the turbine in order to control boost. I'm glad to hear you're being covered under warrantee, I just hope those doing the warantee work have a clue!

No boost at all sounds to me like an ic hose popped off or is severly leaking.

Trevor

#12 ·
T WREX said:
No boost at all sounds to me like an ic hose popped off or is severly leaking.

Trevor

that is what I was thinking...but if a IC hose was completely off the car would barely run at all..big leak could be the case...maybe the wastegate was stuck open....just make sure the whole turbo gets replaced ....wastegate and all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.