Turbo lagging,low idle and bypass valve prob. Help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

goblin is an unknown
Exclamation Turbo lagging,low idle and bypass valve prob. Help

Hi guys , i bought my self an 06 WRX from the US , i live in Montreal, its my first turbo car so i dont know whats really happening. I got the car with the stock bypass valve but i dont understand how does it make the sound of "ppppshshhhttt" EXACTLY THE SAME as this video
(not my car) but does the same thing.

The idle of the car is ugly it feels its going to die everytime I low rev and there is this horrible turbo lag, everytime i press on the pedal , it boosts then lags then boost again and i am running too rich. The car now is stage 2 with FMIC , down pipe and turbo back exhaust. Even more horrible lagging.

Can you guys tell me what is causing the lagging and how does my bypass vavle do the pssht sound ! I heard that it might be caused by the bypass vlave that have been modified to do the sound......

Help??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You know anyone else with a WRX ?

If so, switch BPV's and reset the ECU and see if it continues.

How do you know you are running too rich ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Its the outlet of the bpv routed back into the intake? If the guy before you wanted to make it louder they could have unhooked that hose and plugged it. If they didn't plug it they're a huge moron.

Check that, and check the gasket around the bpv is good, and then check the bpv itself.

-Chris
post #4 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 12:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sorry so ot, but Montreal huh? Home of Arcade Fire! Very cool.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #5 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

goblin is an unknown
When i got the car it wasent stage 2 and it was lagging, i dont know if the car was tuned because it was an accident repair car, the bpv look all fine and everything is plugged in i dont see no loose hose or anything, the car runs rich because it backfires and i know it from the smell, i just cant find a way to put the bpv to original state, what else should i know of ?? I will take pictures and will post them to see if anybody could help.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 09:45 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
The BPV dumps the excess air into a hose directed back to your turbo inlet hose. It feeds under the intercooler and throttle body, then behind the intake plenum (manifold) and is about an inch and a half in diameter. If that is plumbed correctly you will not get any whisshhh noise. If it's not hooked up you'll definitely run rich and generally crappy (and get the whisshh sound) especially if the hose is not capped or plugged tightly. That would be sucking in unmetered air and would account for the major hesitation upon applying throttle. I highly recommend taking a close look at your BPV set-up.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

goblin is an unknown
All right guys , i am realy flipping out , i went today to do a tune up on the dyno... and i ended up with nothing, my car runs TOO RICH it was reading 9. They checked everything, boost leaks, my bpv and what ever its left... He had no explanation on whats happening, he said it MAY BE the MAF that is wrong but am not so sure about that. I just lost 350$ for nothing and i don't feel like loosing more money.. guys be my heros
post #8 of 14 Old 11-09-2010, 11:07 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
So you went to a tuner, to get your car tuned, and they couldnt tune out the rich condition? I would want my money back for starters.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #9 of 14 Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^ I agree

One thing left to do if you can't find the issue (by yurself or with help). Get ALL the stock parts back on the car and start to eliminate from there.

Any kind of engine management yet ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #10 of 14 Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

We need a list of ALL yur mods....

BTW.. get the ECU read for codes.... Even if one isn't present...

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #11 of 14 Old 11-10-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

goblin is an unknown
I dropped the car today at the garage and he called me telling me he found the problem, i will let you know guys if its fixed if not then i will list everything
post #12 of 14 Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

goblin is an unknown
All right guys , so they finally fixed my car with an extra 200$ lol it wasnt the MAF but there was a squeezed fuel line causing the car running to rich .... He did a custom map letting me end up with no use of the Cobb Accessport that I JUST bought... He told me to sell it because it useless now.. Thanks guys for all your help and if anyone is interested with the Accessport ill be selling it for 550$ or if you know anybody that wants one.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-12-2010, 06:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

What did he tune it with ? ECUTek ?

No other flash will make the AP "useless". Although it won't be hard to resell.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #14 of 14 Old 11-12-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

goblin is an unknown
I absolutly dont know with what did he flash my ecu with but he said it was a custom flash and that he couldnt do it with the accessport because he cant access into the ecu like he can do it with his thing, he said dont play with the accessport blablbla ### am going to ruin the present flash so he just told me to sell it