turbo knock? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-27-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

r6m9m03 is an unknown
turbo knock?

hey everyone, i have been hearing a strange knocking noise coming front the passenger side of the engine bay for quite some time. it only happens at idle when i rev it up and when the engine decelerates theres a clattering/knock noise coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. i cant pin point from where though even with a stethoscope, its sounds like its coming from either the turbo or the transmission. recently i have changed the timing belt and the clutch, but the noise has been present before both. i dought its rod knock or a spun bearing because i have oil pressure and the noise isnt present while driving....if anyone has had the same problem or might have som insight on the situation i would greatly appriciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
A while ago, I heard an occasional metal-on-metal vibrating noise coming from my passenger side in the engine bay and it ended up being the wastegate actuator arm rubbing against my Cobb turbo heat shield. I trimmed the heat shield and that solved my problem.

Maybe check your heat shields or look for clearance issues between things and look for wear marks?

Link here: Problem with Cobb turbo heat shield - VIBRATION FIXED (w/ pics)

John
07 WRX
post #3 of 3 Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

r6m9m03 is an unknown
thanks for the reply, my turbo doesnt have a heat shield(i know thats bad lol, but i got it that way and am in the process of making one). would a lifter make a knocking noise? my valve train is pretty noisy but doesnt seem to be out of the ordinary and didnt hear a knock when i was listening to the valve train a stethoscope