Transmission troubles again - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 CrazyTaxi View Post
The 02 WRX transmission is notorious for 1st-3rd issues. I'd recommend swapping the whole thing out for the late 03 WRX transmissions. Only difference is the problem gears were upgraded to RA gears. It has the transmission code ending in BA. Might save you some money that way.
Will the late 03 just bolt right up? also, any specifics on how late? like maby a 11/03?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 07:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Yeah, it just bolts right up. You'd have to look at the transmission code to know for sure. Can't remember exactly when they changed it. Again, it's the code ending in BA.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #18 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
sweet. ill have to look into it more. i found a fairly cheap one with 41k on it but it ended in AA.
post #19 of 24 Old 04-23-2009, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Yeah, AA is the weak transmission. I wish I would have known about the transmission differences when I bought mine. Started hearing about all the 02s and some 03s having the transmissions die and started to worry. When I found that I had a BA transmission, I could have done a backflip I was so happy.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #20 of 24 Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
haha yeah ill probably attempt a backflip when i get my car on the road again. Hopefully soon, thanks for your help
post #21 of 24 Old 05-22-2009, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXforME View Post
I didnt read your other post, but Ive had a similar problem with getting into 2nd gear.

My problem was that my viscous coupler was going, some bearings were getting chewed up, and a gear on the input shaft had a couple chips taken out of it. All that loose metal was built up in a corner of the tranny and it was blocking me from getting into 2nd gear. Its possible maybe you have some metal floating around in your tranny in the way of your shifter.
old post but i finally got time to post an update. this is almost exactly what happened. except the dealer said my differential came apart and spewed metal all through my tranny. all in all it cost me $1900 for all new seals and bearings plus the diff. took the tranny out myself to save me some labor..
post #22 of 24 Old 05-22-2009, 09:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
man that stinks that you had to go through all of that...but congratulations on getting the car back on the road

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #23 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
haha yeah thanks. its a lot more fun to drive than i remember..i guess the month of driving my cadavalier has something to do with it. lol
post #24 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 07:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

darrius024 is an unknown
transmission

any tranny issues do forget about nasioc, they have a wealth of info on the trannys, including that eact tranny issue, just gotta read through the stickies, the also state when tsubaru switched to the ra gears. if your gears break in the 02 aa tranny and your going to rebuild, then just buy new gears through a subaru site such as subaruparts.com they only go up to the 02 tranny but all gears sold through subaru are the ra gears, the only thing is you may want to initially buy all of the gears, so that they all match up and work, but at the same rate my buddy blew a gear in his 02 aa and bought all the gears from that site, and fixed it himself. i am pretty sure the aa and ab trannys are both the same, just gears are slightly different. even the new subaru gears are not 100% too many people try to drag race these cars and the trannys are just not made for it. it is made for stock turbo and stock driving (casual driving) once you start stressing it then it will break !Notfunny! so that is where i like the 300-400 whp max, on gravel aspect. the tranny can handle rally conditions alot better then tarmac racing, smaller rims, lighter break components, less unsprung weight, and less grip all lead to less shock load which is a plus on that glass box transmission. race tires, 18" rims, huge rotors, tarmac suspension, flywheels, turbos and such will require heavy transmission upgrades/swaps, because that stuff will help you grip and make you quicker, but shock load wont agree with the gears. i know someone who rebuilt their tranny after breaking a gear, put a bunch of performance parts on, then drag raced it more, he got pretty fast times too, but his tranny only lasted i think 6 months on non subaru made aftermarket RA gears (dont recall brand but i think they were kaaz or rallispec), may have been less than 6 months, i was suprised how long it actually did lasted though.

ralley=jumping=sideways action=adrenaline rush=keep up with other ricers, and demolish them on the gravelway more fun

drag racing=fast=11-14 second=shortlived if any adrenaline=knowing you can beat alot of suped up cars= broken tranny and lots of expensive aftermarket parts=still pretty fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement