Transmission troubles again - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-17-2009, 03:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
Transmission troubles again

Didnt know wether to put this in problem diag or transmission section. but earlier i mentioned in a post that my transmission would go through a spasm and not want to shift into any gears.. well, it did it yesterday but now it wont go into second gear. all other gears shift fine. there is no grinding, even when i try to put it into 2nd. is this possibly a syncro that came apart or could it possibly be a bent shift fork even though the other gears are fine? I guess this gives me a reason to pull my tranny and upgrade it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2009, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Give Scotty's cocktail a shot first. I'm getting sick of grinding my way into reverse and being unable to hit 2nd and 3rd in high rpm's, so I'm gonna give it a try soon too.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#3 Old 04-17-2009, 08:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
The syncro in reverse has to work really hard cause it has to bring it all the way to a stop to slide in so your reverse syncro could be going out, and i dont know why subaru had to go and design there tranny to have a reverse syncro.
#4 Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
it's for high-speed maneuvers ...going backwards, duh

John
07 WRX
#5 Old 04-18-2009, 03:45 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Lmao Man show, thats a good reason/explanation.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 04-18-2009, 04:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Oh man lol that was pretty funny!!
#7 Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Give Scotty's cocktail a shot first. I'm getting sick of grinding my way into reverse and being unable to hit 2nd and 3rd in high rpm's, so I'm gonna give it a try soon too.
i dont think we're on the same page here. possibly. i doubt it though. but i cant put it into second period. I can pull back on the shifter pretty forcefully and still nothing. it didnt grind or make any funny sounds either. so im pullin the tranny this week and possibly doing a legacy gear swap since i hear those are stronger
#8 Old 04-20-2009, 07:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
I didnt read your other post, but Ive had a similar problem with getting into 2nd gear.

My problem was that my viscous coupler was going, some bearings were getting chewed up, and a gear on the input shaft had a couple chips taken out of it. All that loose metal was built up in a corner of the tranny and it was blocking me from getting into 2nd gear. Its possible maybe you have some metal floating around in your tranny in the way of your shifter.
#9 Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Do you ever pull your E Brake to put your car in to a slide??
#10 Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Lets hope not, thats a big no-no for our cars.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#11 Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
Do you ever pull your E Brake to put your car in to a slide??
haha noooooo. so far ive been pretty responsible with my subie. havnt tried any of that fast and furious junk. ill leave that to the kids with V-Taak.
#12 Old 04-21-2009, 08:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXforME View Post
I didnt read your other post, but Ive had a similar problem with getting into 2nd gear.

My problem was that my viscous coupler was going, some bearings were getting chewed up, and a gear on the input shaft had a couple chips taken out of it. All that loose metal was built up in a corner of the tranny and it was blocking me from getting into 2nd gear. Its possible maybe you have some metal floating around in your tranny in the way of your shifter.
what route did you take on your rebuild? i want to do somthing to mine while ill have it out and in pieces but im not sure what. and given my current financial situation, i might just do a stock rebuild.!Cry!
#13 Old 04-21-2009, 09:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Danielson is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Lets hope not, thats a big no-no for our cars.
Ohh boy I pulled it once to get around a corner and i pulled it about three times in a snow covered parking lot is it that bad to do????

2005 WRX
Borla XR-1 CBE Best Purchase so far

"Wax on wax off"
#14 Old 04-21-2009, 04:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyole View Post
what route did you take on your rebuild? i want to do somthing to mine while ill have it out and in pieces but im not sure what. and given my current financial situation, i might just do a stock rebuild.!Cry!
The 02 WRX transmission is notorious for 1st-3rd issues. I'd recommend swapping the whole thing out for the late 03 WRX transmissions. Only difference is the problem gears were upgraded to RA gears. It has the transmission code ending in BA. Might save you some money that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson View Post
Ohh boy I pulled it once to get around a corner and i pulled it about three times in a snow covered parking lot is it that bad to do????
On the RallyX courses, I use the e-brake to initiate a slide occasionally. Clutch in, quick stab of the e-brake, rev, clutch out. Then again, the problem is when your are on a firm surface. It tends to cause problems with the differentials.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#15 Old 04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thats why i asked cause that will tear your diff's up really fast by doing that.