Tire rubbing.. Stock everything. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-01-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Exodus5656 is an unknown
Question Tire rubbing.. Stock everything.

As the title states I have some rubbing issues in the front. It's worse on the driver side although I have wondered if it were from me being 6'1" @206lbs. When I was doing the trans oil I noticed rub marks and even with suspension fully extended, no load while suspension on stands the tires seemed very close the the fender well lining. I noticed another 2012 hatch owner had similar wheel placement as the wheels appear to be a little forward and not centered in the wheel well. Is this normal or is it possible something is wrong?

I know for a fact my front struts are good and didn't notice anything that was bent or broken. Thanks in advance for your time.

$1,500 in tools can save you $10,000 in maintenance and repairs.

Every escape has it's cost.

Last edited by Exodus5656; 02-02-2016 at 03:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-02-2016, 11:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

stemp661 is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus5656 View Post
As the title states I have some rubbing issues in the front. It's worse on the driver side although I have wondered if it were from me being 6'1" @206lbs. When I was doing the trans oil I noticed rub marks and even with suspension fully extended, no load while suspension on stands the tires seemed very close the the fender well lining. I noticed another 2012 hatch owner had similar wheel placement as the wheels appear to be a little forward and not centered in the wheel well. Is this normal or is it possible something is wrong?

I know for a fact my front struts are good and didn't notice anything that was bent or broken. Thanks in advance for your time.
So nothing is broken yet you are running stock tires and rims? Do you weigh over 500 lbs? if not i would seriously go back and have your shocks rechecked. @arcticscythe has this car im sure he can talk more about it.

HEY, HEEEEY I AM WAIVING!!!!! WAIVE BACK!
post #3 of 11 Old 02-02-2016, 03:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Only thing I've had rub since I got the car was the fender linings and thats totally my fault. They dont like being filled with snow from the sides ( read slides )

I would pull the wheels and have a look. Its very easy to tear those little black connectors and the fender liners are not stiff enough to hold their own weight.

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast
post #4 of 11 Old 02-02-2016, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Exodus5656 is an unknown
That may be the problem. I can look again to see if the little black connectors are broken. Is suspension covered under warranty or is that a wear and tear item?

post #5 of 11 Old 02-02-2016, 06:22 PM

mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
either your front struts are COMPLETELY blown, seems unlikely, or your fender lining is coming off.

No subaru's going to tell you to pound sand if you question their ####tastic fender liners.

2015 STi: Still Stock
04 STi, 04 WRX: SOLD
post #6 of 11 Old 02-02-2016, 06:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Struts and springs are wear and tear items, I think they are quoted for replacement under the 50 or 60k service. Ive always swapped performance struts at 50 which is why Im currently hunting for a moment to swap my suspensions parts.

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast
post #7 of 11 Old 02-04-2016, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is a helpful contributing member
Unless you have 180k on your OEM suspension, you have something loose or broken. Check your alignment too, mine tracks straight but my ball joint is tired and causes rubbing at full lock and wear issues on the tires
post #8 of 11 Old 02-04-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Exodus5656 is an unknown
At <20k miles nothing should be broken or loose though. When I looked at it everything looked good. This being the first car with axles up front I don't know how to properly check ball joints and such . my expirence lies with straight axles. @articscythe if indeed these are wear and tear items that are replaced 40,000 miles from now would premature failure still be put under the blanket statement of driver error/abuse?

Working in a dealership I know the games they play. It's a better business move to say its the owners negligence that led to failure versus using the warranty. Also how strong are these OEM suspension parts? What level of abuse can it handle before breaking. I ask because driving from home to work is like a stage rally on asphault. There are pot holes everywhere on brand new roads and my neighborhood put in speed bumps every 50'.

Thanks again for the input. I will check this weekend to see if anything is loose/broken.

post #9 of 11 Old 02-04-2016, 07:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is a helpful contributing member
Can you post a pic of the spot the rub marks are? That can help determine what may be the cause. Also of you live in a mine field of bumps and drive pretty quickly over them, it will mess with your alignment and wear out the struts much faster.

Working at a dealer you probably know that owner who live on extended dirt/rough roads are more likely to need strut replacement 10-20k miles sooner than those with nice roads, right?

But yeah, get a pic or two for us.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-20-2016, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Exodus5656 is an unknown
Yeah, and if you stop to think about it majority of the roads here in Hawaii are asphault mirrors of a dirt road. I do have a leaking/blown strut rearpass side and I have noticed it in the corners and that's about it. I will see if I can snap a pick tomorrow without needing jacks.

PS: I also want to apologize for not being on for ....... Yeah can't remember. I have been very busy lately trying to keep all my toys running and doing work.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-13-2016, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Exodus5656 is an unknown
So after some time away I was driving out of a lot and heard a pop. So with fsm in hand it shows it is most likely a ball joint.. So either that or cv joint.