Suggestions, opinions, help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-14-2009, 08:36 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Suggestions, opinions, help

Ok well when leaving PT (physical training) a friend left behind me today. When we returned for work call he was telling me that he could see blue smoke coming from my exhaust. Well I went and had lunch with my girlfriend later one, she followed me in her car, didnt see anything. After lunch went to my tuners, he took a look, drove it. All he said is I need a tune cause the Cobb Stage 2 is weak (we all know that). Guess Im just wondering what it is. All I can guess is it could be the piston ring(s). That will suck. If it is that, how much would that run? Asked the tuner he said $5000, but I know he was BSing me, he said he knows I dont want just the rings done. If I can afford it I will do the pistons rods, studs and gaskets, depending on the price of parts and install. Just kind of worried about my baby. I did check the oil, its a little low, but Im about 700 miles away from another oil change. Thanks for any and all input.

On a side note, I did buy (and install cause I couldnt wait) the Cobb SRI and heat box. Pretty easy to install. Directly after installing it I went for a drive. It was cool the first two shifts. How the he!! do you guys with BOVs drive? The sound is ridiculous.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
do you know if the smoke happened after or while you were on boost...it could be your turbo seals...my friends car had blue smoke while he was on boost and it turned out that the seals on his turbo went bad.

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt

Last edited by basco; 05-14-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling
#3 Old 05-14-2009, 08:46 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
He said it was the whole way. He followed me till I left post. I used every gear, more than likely hitting boost several times between 2nd and 3rd. I do have the facotry gauge, but dont pay it any mind, especially since I didnt know I had a "problem:. Also forgot to mention my mods as far as power are just a Cobb (catted) TBE, AP stage 2 91 Oct.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 05-14-2009, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
If its your rings you should have blowby. an easy way to check is to have a friend rev your car and you remove the oil cap and see if you feel any air blowing out. or just run a compression test. But first I would make sure your friend isn't just pulling your leg because blue smoke is serious buisness.

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#5 Old 05-14-2009, 10:43 PM

I know he was serious, but like I said it hasnt happened since. Im just going to keep an eye out, maybe think about building the engine if it needs it. Keep watching the oil level also to see if IM burning/or losing any. Thanks for the help and any and all other suggestions/advice welcomed.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
did you do a compression/leakdown test. I would do that first, there is only a few way oil can get into the combustion chamber, valve seals, turbo oil seals, headgasket, or piston rings.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#7 Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 PM

We are doing a compression test wednesday. He didnt have the thing there the other day when I went in. But I did mention that to him, thanks Mike.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#8 Old 05-17-2009, 07:04 PM

Ok well just an update, the car hasnt smoked at all since the other day, still on for a ocmpression test on wednesday. Oil is still the same level, I did put more in though to bring up the level some. About revving the car with the oil cap off, I had it at idle and could feel air pushing back out of it. Im kind of new to this part of the car, is that bad? I will try tomorrow to have a friend rev it while I feel for air. Still have my fingers crossed that it was just a once in lifetime thing. Thanks again for everything guys.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 05-17-2009, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
if worse come to worse, just put the old exhaust on and bring it back to subaru, its an 07 so it should still be under some sort of warranty, right?
#10 Old 05-17-2009, 07:50 PM

Unfortunately only 177xx miles but had it just over 3 yrs, so no warranty anymore. I do have the stock DP, was thinking about putting it back on and trying. But I did check my paperwork for it. Still waiting for wednesday and hoping things are alrite.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#11 Old 05-17-2009, 08:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

how long have you had it?...plus the powertrain warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles...its the bumper to bumper thats 3 years...so you should be covered if it is toast

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt

Last edited by basco; 05-17-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: clarification on warranty
#12 Old 05-17-2009, 08:26 PM

I bought the car right when the 07s were released. I was one of the first ones to get an 07 from the dealership I got mine from. Like I said I am going to wait till wednesday. It would be hassle to throw on the old DP, especially since I leave for a week on thursday also.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 05-17-2009, 08:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

true...but in the end if it means a free motor versus paying to have it fixed its got to be worth it

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#14 Old 05-17-2009, 08:31 PM

Well kind of. Me and the girlfriend have been talking, instead of paying off the car, take some of what I had set aside for that, and just forge the engine all together and then refinance the car for next to no payments, then pay it off after my next deployment/re-enlistment. Its still up in the air. I mean now, or after my deployment the engine is getting built since I will have the money. My plans are for a reliable 400 AWHP for the rest of my life (therotically, lol).

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#15 Old 05-17-2009, 08:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

yeah i know what you talking about...im lucky I didn't owe on my car so when mine blew there was no hesitation I just built it to the hilt...now im regretting it though...its not really a daily car anymore

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt