Subaru wrx clutch noise - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-01-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sub08mata is an unknown
Subaru wrx clutch noise

Hello guys, im having trouble trying to figure out what is making the noise between the engine and transmission. For example, when i turn, my 03 Subaru Wrx, i hear a weird sound coming from the clutch, like a rod going out. Its like this, i leave it neutral or gear n give it gas n hear a weird sound coming from the clutch. I seen videos on YouTube and saw a guy having the same problem with his. They suggested it was a throw out bearing and also i read somewhere else it was the input shaft. When i go to 1st gear, it wont go unless give it a lot of gas. The Clutch i have is a F1 stage 3 but the throw out bearing is from the Subaru dealership. I bought it after, when the F1 tob broke. Can someone tell me an idea what could be it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Probably should stick to a stock clutch and stock flywheel. Did you change or resurface the flywheel when you upgraded the clutch?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #3 of 16 Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

diesel paul is more helpful than not
the only time the throw out bearing is spinning is when u push the clutch pedal in the throw out bearing is at idle with flywheel when u have no pressure on it if you push the pedal an then start to hear the noise its def the throwout

2003 wrx hatch upgraded turbo three inch turbo back upgraded up pipe subaru upgrade intake
post #4 of 16 Old 09-02-2011, 10:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
Hey guys, I have a 02 wrx and am experiencing the same problem. I also have been told it is a TO bearing. I'm taking to my tuner on Monday for him to hear the noise. I'll update my post when I get some news. thanks, and keep me posted on your situation.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-02-2011, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

ilganeli is an unknown
Throwout

If it's this sound : video on the first page
09 wrx clutch squeal when cold - NASIOC

Dealer said it's the throwout bearing. Getting it replaced next week, will let you know what whether it solves it.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-05-2011, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sub08mata is an unknown
Apparently it was the clutch disc. It was chip on top off of the disc and was worn of out. Right now im deciding whether to get act or exedy. My mods are 720cc injectors, port and polish heads and intake manifold, 1mm valves, 20g turbo, 2.3 stroker kit. I just want to drive home to school and tats it and of course race couple of times.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-05-2011, 12:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'd plan for a gear set upgrade in the future. Because those OEM gears won't last with that kind of power for too long.

Kirt
post #8 of 16 Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sub08mata is an unknown
Oh yes, i have some legacy gt gear set but i rather sell them and go for a sti transmission. But could a stock clutch handle a 20g turbo. Im not a person who drives the car hard, just once in a while, will get on it.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-05-2011, 09:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Could last 6 years and could last 6 weeks....it all depends on the driver. But, most people can't resist the urge to play with the power.

Kirt
post #10 of 16 Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Depends, ask Keith (psinuse) or myself. We have both had decent success with stock trannies, his an 03, mine an 07. He actually still has his in his car with many more mods than me, he just recently broke his front axles at the drag.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #11 of 16 Old 09-09-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sub08mata is an unknown
Stock tranny

"newtothegame" how much horsepower are you running on the stock tranny and other supporting mods?
post #12 of 16 Old 09-09-2011, 04:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
I'd plan for a gear set upgrade in the future. Because those OEM gears won't last with that kind of power for too long.
You STi owners are all the same....

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame
Depends, ask Keith (psinuse) or myself. We have both had decent success with stock trannies, his an 03, mine an 07. He actually still has his in his car with many more mods than me, he just recently broke his front axles at the drag.
Well guess we are 2 special dudes....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub08mata
Apparently it was the clutch disc. It was chip on top off of the disc and was worn of out. Right now im deciding whether to get act or exedy. My mods are 720cc injectors, port and polish heads and intake manifold, 1mm valves, 20g turbo, 2.3 stroker kit. I just want to drive home to school and tats it and of course race couple of times.
Other than a few things you and I are running about the same setup. I'm pushing around 340whp give or take. That's on a very low boost setting of 18psi. Where did you get your kit from or did you build it yourself?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #13 of 16 Old 09-09-2011, 10:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Joshua or newtothegame is no longer running stock gears. He is running a PPG gear set. Its in his signature and in his profile.

Kirt
post #14 of 16 Old 09-10-2011, 06:34 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub08mata View Post
"newtothegame" how much horsepower are you running on the stock tranny and other supporting mods?
I was running close to 350 AWHP and 330 or so ft/lbs when running 92OCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Joshua or newtothegame is no longer running stock gears. He is running a PPG gear set. Its in his signature and in his profile.
And like Kirt mentioned I swapped to PPGs cause I had planned for it, and my clutch was slipping (stock one). And once my gears were taken out I had a "cracked" 3rd gear. Wasnt a big crack, just not sure how safe it was to keep it around.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #15 of 16 Old 09-14-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sub08mata is an unknown
I built it myself. It runs smooth and was surprise cause it was my first built. So now im leaning towards transmission.