Stuttering Problem - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-09-2003, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
Stuttering Problem

I dont know if its me or the car, but everytime I start out in first gear, the car stutters alot (it shakes as if it is about to stale) everytime i take my foot completely off the clutch. I mean the car will be moving at like 15 mph and it will still shake when I take my foot completely off the gas. As it does the samething in as I am going from second gear to third gear as well. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong or whether something is wrong with the car? I know that I am not taking my foot off the gas quickly and I am not flooring so I was thinking that I might not be giving it enough gas, but I dont know.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ch3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-10-2003, 02:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

SloRice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to SloRice
It sounds like you might just be having a rev-matching problem. When going from 1st to 2nd, you want your RPM's to be about where they should be when engaging 2nd and so on. Usually about 1000 to 2000 RPM lower than when in 1st gear. So if you shift from 1st at 5000 RPM, when you engage 2nd you want your RPM's to be about 3500. Just a guess.

Tim
post #3 of 11 Old 07-10-2003, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Hmmm...that might be it, since I shift at 3000 right before the turbo really kicks in. I guess I will try that. Thanks.

Ch3
post #4 of 11 Old 07-17-2003, 09:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
Ok man... I had the same problem. Just when you start off, the car shakes like the biggest earthquake is comming your way. The thing is the way you clutch play. You gotta practice more a bit. My problem was that I wasnt giving it enough gas when starting off in first gear. Also, you should try to gear in the 3K-3.5K range when in normal driving; take or give 1K-0.5K depending on driving conditions and desired results. Hope this helps as it did me.

PS
I also changed the oil just in case, but i dont think that it was the source of the problem.

"Many people have a good aim in life; most never pull the trigger."
post #5 of 11 Old 07-17-2003, 11:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Re: Stuttering Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Tut4u2
I dont know if its me or the car, but everytime I start out in first gear, the car stutters alot (it shakes as if it is about to stale) everytime i take my foot completely off the clutch. I mean the car will be moving at like 15 mph and it will still shake when I take my foot completely off the gas. As it does the samething in as I am going from second gear to third gear as well. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong or whether something is wrong with the car? I know that I am not taking my foot off the gas quickly and I am not flooring so I was thinking that I might not be giving it enough gas, but I dont know.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ch3
I'm not quite clear. Are you saying you are in 1st with the clutch pedal totally released and at 15mph you take your foot off the gas? If this is when you get the "stutter" it is probably nothing.

A manual trans gear has 2 sides. One side is for coasting\decelerating the other for when your foot is on the gas/accelerating. very common in first gear because the ratio is so low when you take your foot off the gas it is switching between coast/accel side of the gear. This causees the forward back jerking. I would recommend you avoid doing this but I have experienced it in my subie as well as other vehicles (a Nissan and a Toyota).

I could be way off here but this is what it sounds like.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-17-2003, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
No I mean when my foot is completely off the clutch, and my foot is on the gas, the car shakes. And then when I shift into second the car still shakes but not as much. By the time I am in third gear, the shake starts going away.

Ch3

Che
post #7 of 11 Old 07-17-2003, 06:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

SloRice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to SloRice
F@#$ it man.....take it to the dealership and let them deal with it. Your mods "shouldn't" affect your warranty, but you never know.

Tim
post #8 of 11 Old 07-20-2003, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Ehhh...it turns out the clutch in the car was changed by the previous owner despite the fact that the car had 15k miles on it when I bought it!!! So it needed to be froken in. My question is, who wears down a clutch on a stock car to the point that it needs replacing at 15k. Anyways, thanks for all your help.

Ch3

Che
post #9 of 11 Old 07-20-2003, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
it may have been replaced by subaru for the shudder problem..there was a prblem with the clutches have a serious issue with shudder.....so...unless the previous owner was a non-driver, it was done for that, not wear.

JOEY
post #10 of 11 Old 07-20-2003, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

ScoobySnax is more helpful than not
I had my clutch replaced by the dealer for shudder at 14272 miles.
There is no break in time for a clutch btw.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-20-2003, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
There is a break in time for clutches, at least for after market ones. I know this, because when I put in an ACT 2600 in my friend's DSM we had to break it in for 3000 miles, as stated in the manual, I dont know whether the same applies for stock clutches or not though.

Ch3

Che
Sponsored Links
Advertisement