STUCK in LIMP mode, no Codes? PLEASE Help! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX Wagon is an unknown
STUCK in LIMP mode, no Codes? PLEASE Help!

Ok, I'm in a 04 WRX wagon, just had the pleasure of the Tensioner bolt shearing off, and bent valve to boot! After replacing the part and putting the motor back together,we got a cam shaft code. Replaced that sensor, no more codes. The car will not go above 4,100 or 4,200 RPM. It does have a Cobb Access, but we were able to determine its not Launch Control. I also tried re-flashing several times, no luck. Can anyone shed some light? I know my pro shop said it could be one of 1,000 things. They want hundreds of dollars an hour just to look at it, and I just dropped every penny I have getting the valve replaced. Any suggestions on how to reset or locate the real problem?

Please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 01:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Did it rev over 4200 before you replaced the cam pos sensor?

What do you mean "it won't go above 4200rpm".... Does it just hesitate/bog when you reach that plateau ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX Wagon is an unknown
Ok, Let me do a better job explaining, and THANK YOU for your response!

What happened is, after the car was put back together it WAS having the issue stated.

The Crank Position Sensor not "Cam" was the code read-out, so we replaced it. Also then reset the check engine light with a scanner.

The battery was disconnected and we let it sit overnight.

NOW- No codes present, but it feels/sounds like it's being regulated by fuel, timing, or ignition.

The sound does NOT sound repetitive, but more so like "pitch and roll," In other words, if we had a graph representing power, it would not be a steady hesitation, or kick back, but more jumpy, crackle, and pop (In the words of my mechanic)

The crazy thing is, there are 2 guys who work on 2.5 sti's all day (both own one) and know the end's and outs of there cars, tuning, etc... and both are left scratching there heads.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Sorry, meant the crank pos sensor as well.

Am I going way off topic OR... Did they replace all the valves or just the one that took a carp?

Also wondering if they did the timing belt as well? Maybe jumped a tooth.... Sorry can't be of much help. Others will be in later

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #5 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX Wagon is an unknown
Hmm, I will post again after I talk to him. I know the timing belt coming off was our problem in the first place, and what cause all the damage. I really hope it is not related to the timing system again. Ahh the joys of owning a Subi. Thanks prz!
post #6 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

The new kits have the markings on the belt (hard to mess up nowadays).

Make sure they replaced more than JUST the belt... The entire kit should be done (tensioner/water pump/etc....

Most of the time it's not the belt itself that causes all the issues but the tensioner/pully

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #7 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX Wagon is an unknown
The guy I have with the repair is top notch, He's just not a Subaru guy. That being said, he has has assistance from DR motorsports and two of there guys. They did replace the whole system. Would/ could a "miss-time" possibly explain the RPM performance issue?

I myself have always had 4x4's and American made, so that's why the world of resistance motors has been a "real experience." I love this thing to death however, and wanted one since 03-04.

Any suggestions on how to rule things out?

Thanks again for the input!
post #8 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Quick question...you said you have an accessport...have you used it to reset the ecu? They have the ability to clear codes under the troubleshooting menu. Just curious why you used the scanner instead?

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX Wagon View Post
Would/ could a "miss-time" possibly explain the RPM performance issue? Yes
Any suggestions on how to rule things out? Other than a CEL, not personally, other than ripping it all apart and looking again. The timing belts and pullies are a PITA... that's why I suspect these

Thanks again for the input!
Sometimes... I say this loosely, the ECU will still hold codes, even though they don't show.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #10 of 11 Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX Wagon is an unknown
We used the AP to reset, and that's why we hooked up the scanner, as a "just in case." To double check if it read any codes after the AP said we were all clear.

I've tried resetting, reflashing, etc.

Now were to the point where I just don't know HOW or WHO can figure out the problem.

Do you all advise staying away from the dealership? Would they tell me tough luck because of the Pro-Tune anyways?
post #11 of 11 Old 03-19-2012, 03:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

No, they won't give you any hassles (not under warranty).

Flash it back to stock and take it in so they won't "blame" it on the tune.

*WARNING*

Excessive trips to the dealer will leave you walking funny.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3