Strange sound on moderate acceleration - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-15-2009, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Jed
WRXtuners Member

Jed is an unknown
Strange sound on moderate acceleration

Hello,

Newbie here. I ran several searches, but could not find any posts directly related to these concerns.

I just bought a 2005 WRX with 26K miles for my wife. It has some mods on it that I am trying to better understand, and an annoying noise I am trying to identify.

It has:

Turbo XS UTEC (pn# WRX-UTEC-US)

Turbo XS UTEC Switch

K&N Typhoon short ram intake (pn# 69-8001)

G-Reddy exhaust

The car runs well, and the installer dyno’d the car at 227hp at the wheels. But it has a strange (to me) noise. At about 3K RPM under moderate acceleration I get an annoying noise similar to a vacuum leak, or like a secondary carb barrel(s) opening up (I'm showing my age). I cannot reproduce the noise when the car is stationary. There has to be moderate engine load. I also get a “Burp” on decel (I assume this is excess boost pressure being bled off, but don’t know).

I am also trying to figure out what the switch settings mean, and how it should, and should not be used. The gentlemen I bought it from is suffering from a terminal health issue, and did not remember what each switch setting was for.

Thanks for any help you all can provide. I am an old car guy, but tuning modern turbo cars is a whole new world to me.

Cheers
Jed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-16-2009, 10:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Where does the noise sound like its coming from?
post #3 of 12 Old 10-16-2009, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Jed
WRXtuners Member

Jed is an unknown
The noise sounds like it is coming from the top of the engine, sorry I can't be more specific, but it only happens while the car is moving. It will continue indefinitely as long as the car is moving under light to moderate acceleration. Any gear, and speed. Very annoying

THX
Jed
post #4 of 12 Old 10-16-2009, 06:36 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
It sounds like you are hearing the turbo spool up which becomes very loud when you run a short ram intake. Some people love that sound!!

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #5 of 12 Old 10-16-2009, 08:24 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I think that Mike is right on this one (except for the loving it part, I dont like mine).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 12 Old 10-16-2009, 08:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
Yep. sounds like a turbo sound.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
post #7 of 12 Old 10-16-2009, 11:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

beaty is an unknown
i will have to disagree. I believe that is is actually the short ram intake. because before I put the intake on i never had that sound. then I put the intake on and when I speed up it sounded like the engine was trying to take a deep breath. but if I let off the gas before I got going to fast it would kind of make a rattle noise. and come to find out the rattle noise was just from the air intake vibrating agaisnt its heat shield.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-17-2009, 09:29 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaty View Post
i will have to disagree. I believe that is is actually the short ram intake. because before I put the intake on i never had that sound. then I put the intake on and when I speed up it sounded like the engine was trying to take a deep breath. but if I let off the gas before I got going to fast it would kind of make a rattle noise. and come to find out the rattle noise was just from the air intake vibrating agaisnt its heat shield.
Why you disagreeing? We are all think that it is the intake!!

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #9 of 12 Old 10-17-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Jed
WRXtuners Member

Jed is an unknown
I was kind of afraid it might just be the turbo spooling up. I am willing to lose some HP to quiet it down.

If I pick up a stock aircleaner system what changes will I need to make to the engine management system?

THX
Jed
post #10 of 12 Old 10-17-2009, 07:56 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Theres nothing to be afraid of, it happens. Its an affect of having either a CAI or SRI. You should be alrite going back to stock. The stock box is good for 300 or so HP for the 02-07.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #11 of 12 Old 10-20-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Jed
WRXtuners Member

Jed is an unknown
Thank you all very much for the help. I appreciate your willingness to share your insight and experience.

I will probably keep an eye out on Craig's list and e bay for a stock intake system, and sell the K&N one currently on the car. I would leave it alone except I live in an area where long, moderate acceleration type hills are very common, and the noise is getting old fast.

Any other ideas on how I can find out what maps are associated with the different numerical settings on the Turbo XS switch?

THX
Jed
post #12 of 12 Old 10-20-2009, 07:13 PM

Check out their website maybe. I have a stock airbox and post maf tube inf ineterested just PM me.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement