Still rattling - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-25-2004, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Sleepr_Blu is an unknown
Still rattling

I have had my WRX for 2 weeks and the noise that arrives on deceleration is still there. I am heading to the dealer now to see if it's a trans or heat shield problem. If there is no fix.....gasp.....I will trade my WRX for another car. I have heard stories about the same problem that seems to exist on ONLY the 02s. If anyone has experienced the same problem and knows the fix...please fill me in. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-25-2004, 06:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
I turn the stereo up, lol.

Che
post #3 of 7 Old 02-25-2004, 08:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to AZ-Scoob
you are going to trade in your car over a rattle?!? yikes, isnt that a bit over the top? you live in IL, probably rusted heat shield or a hunk of pothole tossed up onto a brace or bracket. I lived in Chicago for 27 years and being a mechanic, know how hard it can be to track down a rattle or squeak with all that rust and road debris, especially when its still cold out, everything seems to creak and pop and rattle when its F'n cold out. just give em a chance to find and fix the problem!

[I]"Winners never quit, quitters never win, those that never win or quit are idiots."[/I]
post #4 of 7 Old 02-25-2004, 08:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

RexRckt is an unknown
Come on...I installed the perrin double tip and the thing sounds like a tank. When I first put it in it was slightly rubbing against the undercarriege and it would rattle when I first start taking off in first gear. I decided I had enough so I crawled under there and moved it around; needless to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Now it rattles ALL the time and its driving me insane. I just ordered the kartboy hangers, I bought a small container of plumbers patty, and I plan on fixing this next month when I install my downpipe and uppipe.

I'll do all the work at the dealership along with the mechanic; we'll be able to raise the car and take a good look at whats causing the problem. Somebody mentioned to me that they had problems with the kartoboy hangers so I also had the dealership order me four of the sti hangers; hopefully one of the two will do the job. Peace out!

D
post #5 of 7 Old 02-25-2004, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
I heard stories about the Kartboy hangers melting. Dont know if there's any truth in that or not though.

Che
post #6 of 7 Old 02-25-2004, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
i melted my rear bumper with the ATR catback....kartboy hangers did fine.....
post #7 of 7 Old 02-27-2004, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Sleepr_Blu is an unknown
Unhappy

Update from the dealer....I most likely will trade the car in by no later than tomorrow. The service department at the dealership I bought it from notified me that a used transmission was installed months ago. [very unhappy]. The factory warranty is voided and if the dealership can pick up the cost for new tranny and slap a multi-year warranty on it, than I will take my car back. But I don't know how realistic that is. I'd rather not give it up, but I'll have to see what happens later when I go back to the dealer. I'll let you guys know.