Sti OEM HID headlights installed w/ lightwerkz harness. no power to ballasts! help! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-11-2011, 09:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

subidew is an unknown
Sti OEM HID headlights installed w/ lightwerkz harness. no power to ballasts! help!

I just installed OEM sti hid headlights in my 04 wrx with a Lightwerkz harness. Everything was pretty much plug and play minus two wires that need to be tapped in somewhere. This is where i get confused: I tapped the two wires into the red and black wires that come from the main low beam wires from the car.( snipped grey connector to get to these wires) Am i supposed to tap these to the wires from the HEADLIGHTS or from the car? as of right now, with the wires tapped from the car connection and the ballasts are not firing up. Im getting no power. High beams are OK and turn signals are OK. just no HID.

DRL has been disconnected from behind my glovebox as well.

HID Projector Headlight Retrofit for Subaru, Honda, BMW, Scion and More | LightWerkz.net

This is the link to the harness diagram for reference.

thanks guys

Last edited by mosc; 01-12-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2011, 01:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I can almost guarantee the polarity is reversed (positive is negative and negative is positive). The thing most aftermarket companies don't realize is that the car uses a constant power with a switched ground, and therefore the wire coming from the switch is actually not the positive wire (as the wire's not coming FROM the switch, and rather going TO the switch). Reverse them both and flip the switch again. Don't do one at a time, as that will just blow your fuse anyway. If that doesn't work, make sure your fuses are not blown and then try it again. Let us know if that works. (I mean the SIGNAL WIRES and not the wires that connect to the battery)

EDIT: Your original bulb uses a 9007, which is going to have the center wire be the constant power source for the lights. The high beam ground is to one side, and the low beam ground is to the other. You've obviously found the high beam ground as those work, and a light bulb will work with the polarity reversed. You need to flip them anyway understanding that the center pin on the 9007 harness (the blue part in that kit) will be constantly powered, and not grounded. PM me if that doesn't make sense, but it should get you moving in the right direction. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fogs probably aren't working properly right now either with the wiring wrong.

Last edited by Hondafan; 01-12-2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Added info for 9007 connector