Stereo Issues - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-26-2009, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wooden is an unknown
Stereo Issues

Well, this is my first post on this forum, so hello all. I've had my '02 WRX wagon for about 2 months now, love it to death but I noticed a problem today and attempted to fix it, but it only got worse. Background on the car - I'm fairly certain the stereo is stock, although according to some people the stock stereo sucks and distorts at higher volumes, but mine is crystal clear and kicks ass. Passed 86k miles on Friday, there's a few minor mods to the intake/exhaust and the suspension, but other than that it's stock.

Anyway, while vacuuming it out for the first time this summer, I noticed the subwoofer under the passenger seat for the first time. Being an electrical engineering student, I decided to test the woofer out and noticed it wasn't working. My cousin who works on his RX-7 all the time and knows more about cars and stereos than I do was over so he took a look at it, and we followed the wires to the back of the 6-cd changer. I noticed a 10 amp fuse between the woofer and the cd changer (seems like an odd place for a fuse) so I hopped inside and grabbed a spare 10 amp fuse from one of my bass amps and popped it in - still no sound from the woofer.

I decided to give it a rest for a bit and eat dinner, and when I came back out I put the fuse that was originally in it back in. After this, the stereo no longer turned on, the trip odometer reset itself, the remote lock doesn't work, the AC does not work, the clock will not turn on, and the overhead lights in the cabin do not turn on. Pissed, I decided to drive around for a bit and see what would happen. It never got better, but curiously enough the backlights on the stereo still turn on.

Brought it over to my father's house, also an electrical engineer, and we checked all the fuses related to the things that won't turn on - they all work just fine.

We came to the conclusion that the stereo thinks it's being stolen and will not turn on. All the connections in the back are solid and the unit is grounded. Everything else in the car works fine.

Again, things that don't work:
- Remote locking/alarm
- Stereo will not turn on
- AC will not turn on
- Overhead lights/clock do not turn on
- trip odometer resets when car is turned off

Sorry for the excess of info, hopefully you can make something of it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-26-2009, 01:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
First off, welcome to the site.

wow that's pretty weird though, maybe try lifting the carpet on passengers side and check to see if anything got disconnected from the ecu since u were in the area. Or maybe disconnect the battery and reset the ecu. Did u check all the fuses or just the ones that it might affect?

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #3 of 9 Old 05-26-2009, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wooden is an unknown
I checked the fuses that would be causing the problems with a multimeter, the rest I left alone. The ones I checked all seemed to be working fine, and I've since tried both fuses from behind the cd changer in my bass guitar amplifier and they both work. I'll check under the passenger carpet to see if anything got disconnected.

I'm not sure what's up with the woofer, but it's glued to the floor and bolted onto a mounting plate and I don't know how easily it'll come out, I don't want to rip up my flooring on accident.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-26-2009, 07:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
well just so you know theres no such thing as too much info...especially in problem diagnosis

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #5 of 9 Old 05-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
That is pretty odd. My next step would be to pull every fuse, one by one. It's a simple insurance it won't be a fuse related problem. Your year WRX doesn't not come with security prevention built in the stereo, so that is not the problem. Stock radio is double din with a tape deck, black IIRC for the 02s, and says Subaru up top.

http://www.devtools.org/rus/mtimages/subaru-radio.jpg

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #6 of 9 Old 05-26-2009, 06:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Almost sounds like a negative/ground problem. The backlight for the stereo is controlled by the dimmer switch. I assume you checked that the switch for the dome light is in the on or door position.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #7 of 9 Old 05-27-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wooden is an unknown
Checked all the fuses inside the dash, nothin.
Checked the fuses in the hood, found one blown and replaced it. It's all good now!

Thanks for the help guys.

push the envelope. watch it bend.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-27-2009, 05:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Lemme guess its like the interior light fuse that actually controls the whole interior...my radio shorted out and kept blowing that fuse and it took me almost a week to figure it out

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #9 of 9 Old 05-27-2009, 03:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
good man, glad u got it figured out.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement