Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   steering wheel shudder (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/steering-wheel-shudder-7136/)

wrx555 03-02-2005 12:52 AM

steering wheel shudder

hey guys..
my 2004 WRX has an unusual problem.
When my car is going straight and goes through some rough pavement or even potholes, the car sounds solid.
But when I turn the steering wheel(either way)and it goes through some rough pavement, the steering wheel shudders and makes a clug clug sound.
I've checked the underbody already and all the bolts are tight.
Someone was suggesting that maybe my steering preload was slightly loose and they could make it tighter.
Does that make sense?
Your suggestions will be appreciated

Cosmo 03-02-2005 07:38 AM

Do you have the stock wheels and tires on it?

Rain_Racer 03-02-2005 07:50 AM

Is this under acceleration or deceleration? does it only happen in the wheel you are turning toward?

When you sharp cornering while under heavy braking only one wheel tends to get released by the antilock system (the wheel on the inside of the turn) and antilock feels crazy weird especially in a WRX where the antilock is so damn sensitive. It makes a clunk clunk sound and your steering feels funny.

Do you have an abandoned gravel road near you where you can safely do a test?

Get going about 20mph on a straight away then slam on your brakes hard enough to engage antilock (make sure you will have room to slide and stop, please don't kill yourself). Now compare the two feelings are they the same? if so, don't worry it is fine and it is not your steering, just the unfamiliar feeling of a performance brake system.

wrx555 03-02-2005 08:53 AM

Cosmo...
not anymore... just changed recently... but the sound/feeling was there already even before I changed into 18's

wrx555 03-02-2005 08:55 AM

Rain racer...
it doesn't make the shudder under braking....
its when i'm moving forward with the steering wheel turned (either way)
going through some rough or uneven pavement....

Vew 03-03-2005 11:01 PM

How fast are you going? If it's really slow, like less the 5mph, I have a problem like that, but it's only because my car is in midstall and not enough power is going to the power steering. Our driveway is gravel and filled with holes, and it's like a maze to exit it.

Ian 03-04-2005 04:29 PM

Just a guess but have you checked your power steering fluid? maybe it's low.

wrx555 03-04-2005 07:51 PM

Hi Vew!
Around that speed. But it didn't have that problem before.
Come to think of it, it kinda started when the dealer replaced my steering rack.
But I'll have it checked again.

Vew 03-06-2005 04:48 PM

A simple test is to try driving the same area you usually drive. Only try it at night with the dome light on. If your interior light dim at the same time your steering wheel judder occurs, it's only because you're about to stall and I wouldn't worry about it. My headlights dim slightly sometimes in night traffic if it's moving REALLY slow.

wrx555 03-14-2005 08:30 AM

hey vew..
tried your idea...
it seems that its not my solution...