Subaru WRX Forum banner

Steering Pump???

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  SloRice 
#1 ·
OK, I've had my WRX for a little over 2 months now. I would say probably in the past month it has made this really loud noise 3 or 4 times when I turn the wheel to back out of a parking spot. It's kinda hard to describe the sound, but I'll give it a try. It sounds kinda like an 18 wheeler coming to a stop.....the loud medium to high pitched noise the brakes make on it. It only does it for a second then goes away. I dismissed it the first time but then it did it yesterday and then again today.

Is this something I should be worried about, or take to subaru?? Anyone else have this problem?

thanks
Tim

#5 ·
Dude, check your power steering pump reservoir... if it's below the lowest line then you're either leaking, or it's been low to begin with. Check your manual for the type of fluid you can use. It's actually an Automatic Transmission Fluid, but it has or does not have something in it, so check the manual. You don't want to fry that pump.

Near the Front Passenger side of the engine bay, there is a brass fluid line that runs near the Turbo Induction Hose to the Turbo. There is a Large Nut with a Banjo bolt on top of it, that allows the PS fluid to pass through..... check that area to see if you have any fluid drops or anything coming out.

Check www.scoobymods.com under the Turbo Induction Hose installation for the actual location, and how to tighten it, if need be.

Blue

#6 ·
I'll check it out tomorrow. When I took it to the dealership about a month ago,.....they of course found nothing b/c they never want to do anything under warranty. But anyway, the power steering reservoir is filled to the specified line. Also, if it was leaking, I should see some signs of puddles or something. It hasn't been doing it as much lately, but it still does it......twice tonight. Oh well, f@#$ something up, and I'll get a new one under warranty. ;)

#7 ·
Question? Are you hearing this noise when the Steering wheel is turned either way, completely to it's stop? As in, have you turned your steering wheel as far as it will allow the wheels to go?

If the answer to that question is yes, then the noise you are hearing is you putting undue stress on the PS Pump, and asking it to do more than it was designed to do, for longer than it was supposed to. This will eventually lead to your PS pump's failure.

If the answer to that question is no, then you most likely have a faulty PS pump.

Blue

#8 ·
I think the noise you are hearing is the pressure release valve opening in your power steering system. This keeps the pump from exploding if you hold the wheel at full lock for too long, because the pump keeps trying to build pressure in the system, effectively trying to turn the wheels through the stops built into the rack. Try this: On a flat surface turn the wheel to full right lock and hold it and count to twenty. See if it makes the noise. Then turn it to full left lock and repeat, again seeing if it makes the sound. If it makes the sound both times I don't think there is anything wrong.

#9 ·
TKO,
I'll try that tomorrow if I remember. It doesn't make the sound when I have the wheel at lock....it does it in mid turn. I took it to the dealership, and they couldn't repeat the noise. It hasn't done it in a few days. I wish I could figure out the pattern of what's causing it and when, that way I could do it for them at the dealership.

thanks guys for still giving me ideas for the last 2 months. lol

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.