Steam spitting out of exhaust! Help! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrx54 is an unknown
Steam spitting out of exhaust! Help!

I did a job to replace the CMP sensors which required removing the turbo for access. I also removed the uppipe to check for debris after I noticed some chipping on the turbine blades.

The car was running fine before the job, except that it would quit after running for a while. After replacing fuel pump and filter, I determined the blame was with the CMPs which came up faulty on the OBD.

After reassembly, the quitting of the engine has not reoccurred, but I can't drive very far because now coolant seems to be burning off through the exhaust. Large quantities of steam are emitted, especially at rpms that engage the turbo.

I don't see how a head gasket could have blown, since all was well before the job, and the new problem arose immediately. I also don't see how coolant could get into the exhaust at the turbo, since the turbo coolant cavity is sealed and couldn't have been damaged during the repair. I don't see how I could have confused any coolant lines either, and there aren't any visible leaks.

Arrgh! Why is coolant in my exhaust?!!

PS: The vehicle is an 04 Forrester XT. The setup of the parts in question is virtually identical to my 02 WRX, and the turbo is the exact same TD04L model as the WRX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement