Starting and Running ProblemsW - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-27-2010, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dgreenbluet is an unknown
Starting and Running ProblemsW

2005 Subaru WRX-Stock-92,000miles

This started after I installed a stereo yesterday and I dont think its related. So this morning go out to the car and it just cranked forever sounded like it wasnt going to started. After multiple attempts it started right when I was about to give up. Drove to city and highway for the next hour just fine, no problems. Parked it for 6 hours and the same thing happen just cranked forever then finally started right when I was about to give up. Then drove for 30 minutes just fine. Parked it then tried to start it right after shutting it off and it fired right up. The car then sat for another 6 hours. This time it would not start. Ended up pull starting it and it got it going. Very ruff low idle(200-300). Would not go over 1500rpm in 1st gear. The engine sounds very bad and ruff. I'm hoping something simple, spark plugs? Fuel Filter? Fuel Pump? I did just do a tune-up about 5,000miles ago(plugs, fuel, air, and oil filter). Maybe a coil pack came loose. Car is parked on the side of the road and I am going to check all these things. Any idea's would be nice before I head an hour away. Is there a way to check the fuel pump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-27-2010, 04:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Sounds a lot like when a battery is close to dead (in our cars) in my opinion, but that may not be the only cause...

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #3 of 20 Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepr View Post
Sounds a lot like when a battery is close to dead (in our cars) in my opinion, but that may not be the only cause...
So if the battery wont hold a charge than it would run terrible after pull starting?

I thought battery at first too but when the trouble first started the engine would crank all day, so that made me think the battery was ok. I'm taking my voltmeter to check the battery and alter.

Also I just fueled up so I'm thinking maybe bad fuel or water in my fuel so I'm gonna get some octane booster and HEET. I know I should drain the tank but its on the side of the highway and just wanna get home.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-27-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

okay so found out the fuel filter is in the tank on the pump, what a freakn pain that was. pulled the filter, it looked really good, i cleaned it and put it back in. no parts stores carry them and the dealer didnt even have it on the shelf. now a new problem. it wont start at all. just cranks and cranks. i thought at first ok, theres air in the fuel lines no big deal, it will fire up in a little bit. NOPE after a good cranking session(giving the starter breaks to cool down) and hooking it up with jumper cables to my other car, it was still a no-go. so i disconnected the fuel lines on top of the pump and fuel came out when i turned the ignition on so the pump is working. i can hear it come on too. so now i'm stuck with a car that wont start now. the weird thing before was that when the car first started you can rev it in neutral and it sounded great like nothing was wrong then after running for a minute the idle would drop really low and unable to drive it anywhere ### lack of power, like it was starving for fuel. i dont know what the hell is going on now. i didnt think it was a spark issure ### it would rev just fine when it first started. air filter looks good, maf looks good. looks like im gonna be calling a tow truck to the dealer if i dont figure something out soon.

plus it hasnt thrown a check engine light which just confuses me even more....HELP!
post #5 of 20 Old 12-27-2010, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

i think im going with a fuel pump, does anyone know any way to check the pressure coming out of the fuel pump and what the pressure is supposed to be? when i disconnected the fuel line right on top of the pump it didnt seem like it had a lot of pressure. looked like a little boy whizzing. any suggestions? dont want to buy a pump to find out its not the problem.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 07:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Do you have a metal canister on the fuel pump acting as a filter? Or is it the sock lookin filter?

Someone on here has a stock pump they will send you to rule it out....

Then again, a Walbro pump and kit is only ~90.00 shipped from importimageracing.com

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #7 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Do you have a metal canister on the fuel pump acting as a filter? Or is it the sock lookin filter?

Someone on here has a stock pump they will send you to rule it out....

Then again, a Walbro pump and kit is only ~90.00 shipped from importimageracing.com
sock looking prefilter

got a pump on the way, hopefully this will fix the problem, i'll report back and let u guys know
post #8 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 12:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
So you don't have a canister above the pump in the tank at all?

Reason I ask is because those can get packed with crud.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #9 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
So you don't have a canister above the pump in the tank at all?

Reason I ask is because those can get packed with crud.
this is what i have

Photobucket
post #10 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 02:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ok, the white/metal piece is what I was referring to... And you can't take it apart and get it to work correctly in my experience.

So, you ordered just a pump ? Or the entire assembly above ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #11 of 20 Old 12-30-2010, 04:40 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Did you check you fuel filter in the engine bay? It's a black canister near the washer fluid tank.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #12 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 01:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Does no one else think this sounds like an ignition problem? I've only had cars act like this when the timing was way off, or when a spark plug wire was shorted. Not this severely, but it sounds the same to me. Plus that explains why it doesn't rev well under load, as you might have 1 or 2 plugs that aren't sparking properly. Anyone?
post #13 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Ok, the white/metal piece is what I was referring to... And you can't take it apart and get it to work correctly in my experience.

So, you ordered just a pump ? Or the entire assembly above ?
got the whole assembly
post #14 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyhead View Post
Did you check you fuel filter in the engine bay? It's a black canister near the washer fluid tank.
pretty sure this year doesnt have a filter under the hood. napa seems to think so ### the gave me a black filter thats exterior but i couldnt locate it anywhere. there is definitely no filter next to the LF strut.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondafan View Post
Does no one else think this sounds like an ignition problem? I've only had cars act like this when the timing was way off, or when a spark plug wire was shorted. Not this severely, but it sounds the same to me. Plus that explains why it doesn't rev well under load, as you might have 1 or 2 plugs that aren't sparking properly. Anyone?
i dont think its ignition only because after going back to work on it the next day, it started right up and revved like nothing was wrong. It even idled normal for about 20 seconds then the same problem started again. Idle dropped really low and couldn't really get the engine to rev over 2500rpm. undriveable. just seemed like it was starving for fuel.

anyone know what the fuel pressure coming off the pump should be?