Starting Problem - no crank or spark, turning key does nothing - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-13-2010, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

fuzebox is an unknown
Starting Problem - no crank or spark, turning key does nothing

A few weeks ago my 2002 WRX had the strangest starting problem. The car behaves like I am trying to start it without pushing the clutch pedal. No reaction at all when turning the key, no starter click at all. I thought it may have been an alarm or starter kill issue, but I can bump start the car just fine. The fuel pump comes on fine. After a few days of me and my friends checking fuses, battery cables, the clutch pedal safety switch, etc, it all of a sudden randomly starts just fine, without a single problem for 3 weeks.

Last night after driving all day, the same problem randomly came back. Had to push start to get home, and now in the driveway it still won't start.

I'm new to Subarus so I was not sure if there was a model-specific sensor or switch or fuse to check... I've been searching the forums and can't find anything so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-15-2010, 01:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

tommy0202 is an unknown
Same problem

I am having the same problem right now. Except mine is an automatic....ya i know...I got a great deal. My battery was almost dead and i locked my keys in the car and had to get in by AAA. I think it may be some safety mode, however i did try every possible reset in the manual to no avail. Someone please help.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-15-2010, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

fuzebox is an unknown
Well I have an update to my issue which won't help you... The problem was the clutch pedal safety switch, bypassing the switch by grounding it solved my problem.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-27-2011, 04:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

tmazss is an unknown
reviving dead thread\\\\ my 02 wrx started doin this today. i drove to 7-11 go inside come out and the car wont start, i try to jump it with cables and nothing, then i bump start and it starts right up so i drive home pull off the starter to bring to autozone for test and it passes.

i put it back on and look for any connections that look loose or grounds and from what i can see everything looks good, where are the essential grounds that shud be checked. any ideas? shud i pull the coilpacks and re-set them back on to make sure there covvecting? and i can hear the fuel pump when i turn the key on so i dnt think its that.
thanks foe the input
post #5 of 5 Old 12-27-2011, 07:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Did you look at the safety switch ?

If you did and it has not worked then make a thread, you will get more responses.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement