starting problem - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-26-2004, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX_Stud is an unknown
starting problem

ok .. so ive searched and searched and found nothing on this problem .. so my problem is this : when i go to start the car, all i hear is a click, everything i turn the key .. and i know i have full power because everything works fine and i have no problem with is when i "jump start " the car .. so anyone have any idea on what this may be ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-26-2004, 08:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
You may have enough power to run some accessories, but once you go below 12v or so, its not enough to start the car. The first thing I would say to do is get a multi-meter and check the battery OR if your car is still under warranty, call the dealership and have them fix it for free.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-26-2004, 09:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
You're hearing a click when you try and start the car? Your battery is dead, or dying. I've had mine do the same thing, and it started on its own for about a week, until it finally went. Subaru actually replaced the battery under warranty for me. Be sure replace the battery soon, as you can put a strain on your Alternator and possibly fry it.

Blue
post #4 of 8 Old 06-26-2004, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX_Stud is an unknown
well actually .. my volt meter on my battery has 13 .... i had to do a custom install for my car stereo which included custom wiring system and battery ... so i had ruled out the battery and alternator
post #5 of 8 Old 06-26-2004, 04:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Quote:
Originally posted by WRX_Stud
well actually .. my volt meter on my battery has 13 .... i had to do a custom install for my car stereo which included custom wiring system and battery ... so i had ruled out the battery and alternator
Well, if you're sure it's not your battery and alternator, then it's your starter going.... that's the only thing I can think of.

Blue

If it's a humming or a buzzing you're hearing, it's your fuel pump.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-27-2004, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kobiyashi is more helpful than not
Re: starting problem

Quote:
Originally posted by WRX_Stud
ok .. so ive searched and searched and found nothing on this problem .. so my problem is this : when i go to start the car, all i hear is a click, everything i turn the key .. and i know i have full power because everything works fine and i have no problem with is when i "jump start " the car .. so anyone have any idea on what this may be ??

Your answers on your last few responces contradict yourself, because if a jump start works, it can ONLY be the battery, everything else is still needed to start the car. Check for a loose wire on the post or swap it with the battery you were jumping it with just to try that. It's either the battery or the connection to the battery.

-kobi
post #7 of 8 Old 06-27-2004, 11:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to T WREX Send a message via Yahoo to T WREX
Maybe he means rolling the car in gear and dumping the clutch when he says "jump start". If so, he's not contradicting anything.

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor
post #8 of 8 Old 07-01-2004, 08:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kobiyashi is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally posted by T WREX
Maybe he means rolling the car in gear and dumping the clutch when he says "jump start". If so, he's not contradicting anything.
even then its still only the battery (or possibly starter if you use a clutch jump) if it RAN without any change. Everything else is needed to run. So Jump from a battery or clutch pop either way its easy to troubleshoot.

-kobi