starting/dying issues - dealership had car for 3 weeks and it still doesn't work!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-15-2011, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

brooma98 is an unknown
Exclamation starting/dying issues - dealership had car for 3 weeks and it still doesn't work!!

So I have a 2006 WRX hatchback, and I've had the car for a little over a year and haven't had a single problem with it until I was on my way out to Colorado (from SLC) a few weeks ago. It decided randomly it didn't want to start.
So we drove out there without turning the car off, and made it out fine, and it started sometimes, but sometimes it didn't. Sometimes it would start with a jump, but sometimes it wouldn't work. Got a new battery, but still the same problem - it just turns over and turns over, but it seems to be starving for fuel. Sometimes, it would start up with a bogg - it would bogg over and then it would start up. I even tried to turn the key 1/4 of the way a few times to prime the engine and it seems to have no effect.
I took the car to the nearest Subaru dealership, and they had it for 3 hours and it worked fine for them. Later on, it did the same exact thing, I couldn't get it to start no matter what, and got it towed back to them.
Apparently I had a dented gas tank, and a bent fuel pump. So I left the car there, and drove home in a rental, after they convinced me that was the problem. After having the car for 3 weeks, replacing the fuel pump twice, the gas tank, and doing the 60,000 mile service on it (adding in replacing the brakes and something with the AC) I go back to Colorado to pick up the car, and off the bat it works fine. I get into Denver, and start having the same problems I had before. Take it back, and they replaced the control unit.
I drove the car home, without turning it off again, but I am still having problems getting it to start.

I thought it could have been an ignition thing, because it generally starts right up when I jiggle the key, but just today, I got it to start fine, but it just died a few seconds after it started up. It died another 3 times in a row, just trying to get out of a parking lot. There is no fluctuating idle, I'm not parking it on a hill, there is no loss of power. It seems like there is still an issue with the fuel, but since I have a new fuel pump and control unit, I can't figure out what is wrong with it, nor can anyone at the dealership. But at the same time, it seems to be an electrical issue because of the inconsistency. Any ideas??

(I don't mistreat my car, I don't rally it, always get oil changes on time, I take really good care of it -- If anyone out there is able to send me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-15-2011, 02:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Fuel filter.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 10-15-2011, 04:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

brooma98 is an unknown
I was told that was checked, and it was working fine
#4 Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
That doesn't mean they did. Look at the filter and see if it looks like it has been touched or removed? Might be a loose battery connection or a alternator going bad. Also are you getting any CELs??

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...