Stange things happening at accerlation - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-07-2008, 05:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Whodie126 is an unknown
Stange things happening at accerlation

Here's the deal I have an 04 WRX completely stock. I have about a 10 mile stretch of highway to work and I drive pretty fast down the highway. When I get off the exit come to the stop sign stop everything is fine but when I pull out there is all kinds of crazy gurgling noises coming from my exhaust, I still have decent power but it's a horrible noise so I let off immediately.

It doesn't happen everytime I drive the car and rarely on back roads (although it has) mostly I see it when I'm cruisin down the highway then slowing down for EZ Pass or getting off an exit and trying to accelerate back up. I can feel the vibrating from the exhaust and its horrible but I get up to speed and it goes away. I can then come to a stop and go without it happening during the same trip. This is really freaking me out because 95% of the time the car runs great but when this happens its scary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-07-2008, 11:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
do you have a turbo back exhaust?? i hear the same noise with my 04 but that is because i have a catless downpipe and am running rich. The crackling or gurgling noise is your unburnt fuel being burned later on down the pipe. i would have your cat checked (emission test)
#3 Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Whodie126 is an unknown
Just ran through emissions perfectly this past Teusday. I am completely stock never did a thing on this car that wasn't part of routine maintenance.
#4 Old 09-08-2008, 03:58 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
check to see if you have a loose heat shield or if the exhaust is rattling on something.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#5 Old 09-08-2008, 05:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Whodie126 is an unknown
checked and Exhaust is fine, its not a rattling noise. It feels and sounds like my exhaust is under water gurgling and popping but its on acceleration and goes away after a little bit. It only happens occasionally and its almost impossible to replicate I just kind of wait for it to happen and hope someone is in the car with me because most of my friends think I'm looney at this point.
#6 Old 09-08-2008, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
Do you have a CEL? Did you physically try to shake the exhaust at different points to see if it was loose in any way?

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
#7 Old 09-08-2008, 07:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Whodie126 is an unknown
No CEL no exhaust problems shook the crap out of it. I just had my car in the shop last Tuesday for PA Inspection and Emissions and it past flying colors.
#8 Old 09-08-2008, 08:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Squamr is an unknown
Does it only do it after you are driving hard and then slow down to idle and then accelerate?

Or does it do it even when your just cruising around slow?

I'm wondering if something is overheating.

Have you noticed any puffs of smoke from the tailpipe; if so what color is the smoke? Does it sputter or buck when you get on the throttle after it does the gurgling thing?
#9 Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Whodie126 is an unknown
No smoke out of the back no coolant leaking no exhaust leak, head gasket seems fine. I had my mechanic look the car all over as well as I did and everything looks and appears fine.

It only happens when I drive it hard ... it doesn't happen all the time I can blow down the highway 15 days in a row and never have an issue then the next day problems. It's never consistent and always goes away by just driving through it. Only had it happen once while driving on back roads but I was running hard. When it happens its usually because I was cruisin down the highway then got off or come to a light and then start to pull away, even if I take it easy.

The car doesn't buck it just gurgles and pops as it gets up to speed if I drive it easy for a few miles it will go away or if I stop and give the car a rest it will go away.
#10 Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
I dont know what your plans are with the car? is the noise annoying you or are you just worried it could be something wrong. If you buy an aftermarket downpipe (catted) im pretty sure the noise will go away. But then again i cant be positive. It really sounds as if you have some sort of cat problem.
#11 Old 09-12-2008, 12:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Whodie126 is an unknown
I'll keep checking it out, like I said my exhaust all seems to be in order, I'm going to pull it and the turbo this weekend to check it all out. Was just trying to speed up the diag by finding if anyone had this issue, Thanks.
#12 Old 09-21-2008, 02:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Whodie126 is an unknown
took it to the dealer, they said I needed a new airbox ... traded my 04 in for an 07.
#13 Old 09-22-2008, 12:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Hmm...Don't know what the airbox would have to do with it. But, nice color car. Does that thing have a STI wing on it?
#14 Old 09-22-2008, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
So instead of getting a new airbox, you traded up for a new car? Interesting....

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#15 Old 09-23-2008, 12:38 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Why not? He explained himself in another thread. New car, less problems, less miles Im sure. If its a good deal its a good deal.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"