Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   stage 2 boost (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/stage-2-boost-29262/)

Boober909 08-08-2010 05:16 PM

stage 2 boost

so i just bought the APv2, and i'm only hitting 13.9 psi in first-third. in fourth i will ger 14.2 or so and 5th will make it up to 15.4. Is this what it should be getting? the car doesn't really feel like it has 55 more horsepower. i tried looking for a leak in my system somewhere but couldn't find anything... i was thinking about trying the HWG map for people who can't reach full boost. what do you guys think?

mosc 08-08-2010 06:44 PM

Remember that peak boost is quite low in the RPM band since your motor is relatively large for the stock turbo. To correctly test boost, you need to start at a low RPM (say 2000) and leave the pedal down.

Boober909 08-08-2010 08:27 PM

yeah i'm still not hitting higher than the 13.9 in the low gears though, below the readout it has a high and low for the period. the map says 15.8+-.7 so i guess i'm in that in fifth, it just doesnt seem like the car pulls that much harder in 2nd/3rd than stock.

maybe i should just get a vf39, sti i/c and injectors and a walbro fuel pump and not worry about it :) haha

mosc 08-08-2010 09:00 PM

92 octane map?

basco 08-08-2010 09:30 PM

try adjusting the wastegate arm per cobbs notes

Boober909 08-09-2010 12:47 AM

91 octane yeah. we don't have 93 octane here, i guess i could put a bottle of octane booster in and try that.

i was reading about doing that. just one turn at a time till you hit the target boost. in the map notes it says if after a week or two you havent hit boost try the stage2 HWG map also. maybe i will wait a while and do that, i have a boost gauge coming soon as well, would it be more accurate than the ap readout?

mosc 08-09-2010 12:55 AM

Manual boost gauges are less accurate than the AP (which uses the factory ECU). The most accurate would be an electronic sensor. Avoid the octane booster. Takes several bottles to go from 91 to 93 on a full tank and when you mix in that much, you get some very gunky stuff in your engine. Plus you'd have to retune the car to actually make use of it anyway.

Hondafan 08-09-2010 02:47 AM

Mosc is right. When you read that octane booster raises your octane by 10 points, that means 10% of one grade higher in octane (meaning 91 becomes 91.1). It's a waste of money, but depending on your altitude it's not necessary to have 91. I would also explain this as the reason you aren't hitting what you expect for target boost, although I don't know what your actual elevation is. Even with the HWG map on my old 02 it couldn't ever achieve target boost. I would be pretty satisfied if I were even pulling close to what you're getting now, but I was hitting around 12 in the first 2 gears, then 3rd would get me to almost 14, and I'd get about 14.7 max in 4th and 5th. That was at stage 2 with a catless dp, 3 in cat-back, and an AP. No other mods.

Boober909 08-09-2010 10:49 AM

i'm about 2100 feet. yeah those numbers are pretty similar to what i am running.. k i will run it this way for a while. i will wait a while and maybe try flashing the hwg and see if it makes enough of a difference. i have to say it is a pain to reflash your base map though i hate those little connectors under the dash. i'm a little too big to be fitting under there to see what i'm doing lol.

plus i'm kinda having trouble uploading the maps to my AP. like i have everything installed, updated the accessport. but when i plug in my ap to my usb port and open the uploader it doesn't have an ap symbol or anything like it won't let me upload maps to it or eject it or anything. maybe i'm doing something wrong?

Boober909 08-10-2010 09:45 PM

K so today I was only hitting 7psi.. There must be a leak somewhere I dunno where though. Ughh

pzr2874 08-11-2010 05:59 AM

Uninstall the AP.... reset your ECU.

Reload the AP software on your PC... then do the firmware update.... After all is said and done... flash your car again.

Try that first... then look for leaks. I had the same issue a couple years ago and found I was missing an update.

Boober909 08-11-2010 09:41 AM

yeah that will be easier. to reset the ecu just unhook neg terminal and brake fully a few times?

Boober909 08-11-2010 11:45 AM

that worked i'm back to about the 15.2 boost and the accessport shows up under sources now :). one of the guys at cobb suggested making the resrictor pill id a little larger. i might try that if i can get another one at the dealership if it doesn't work.